Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Class of 2015

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Re: Class of 2015

Postby Zog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Starting NOBO from mile 0 4/4/15. This is my second shot. Last year I did 342 miles to Cajon Pass/I-15 before pulling off the trail. Many of you will meet me as you pass me! I will be moving slower, seeing more of the sights, taking more breaks, and trying to have more fun this time. Odds of success are very high.
See you out there!
Zog
Zog

Postby casey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:04 am

Owner/moderator

How do I get resupply service, Sonora Pass Resupply listed on the resupply list?

The website is www.sonorapassresupply.com

Thanks,
Casey
casey

Postby postholer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 am

casey wrote:How do I get resupply service, Sonora Pass Resupply listed on the resupply list?

Done!

On the resupply page and google map.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Beerbear » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 am

Cant believe I'm finally on my way!!!!!! Starting in Kennedy Meadows, mid April. Figured Ive spent enough of my life chasing around the deserts of the world, so Ill skip that first part. CANT WAIT! Watching the snow pack and hoping to get on the trail as soon as possible!
Beerbear

Postby Thieving Weka » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 pm

I bought my ticket to the states yesterday, I've got my permit to hike, AND i'm registered for a spot at ADZPCTKO. all systems go and I'm all kinds of excited. I can't wait to meet you guys up near Lake Morena.
Thieving Weka

Postby Gilles » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi,

Planning a Sobo hike from enf June/early July. Is any Sobo hiker present her looking for a travel companion?
Gilles

Postby Lucky_Man » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 am

I'm doing a section southbound starting late July 21 or early July 22 from I-80 near Truckee and heading to Walker Pass, Highway 178. NPS wouldn't give me a permit for the JMT but this is better!
Lucky_Man

Postby joshsmallbone » Fri May 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi, my wife and I have 4-6 weeks to hike a section of the PCT. We were thinking about the central california part starting around june 15th and starting near Kennedy Meadows but were curious what the snow conditions looked like this year for the Sierras? If they are bad I think we are best off finding another section of the PCT since we're not ice/snow mountaineers! Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Josh
joshsmallbone

Postby enyapjr » Sat May 09, 2015 5:23 am

joshsmallbone wrote:Hi, my wife and I have 4-6 weeks to hike a section of the PCT. We were thinking about the central california part starting around june 15th and starting near Kennedy Meadows but were curious what the snow conditions looked like this year for the Sierras? If they are bad I think we are best off finding another section of the PCT since we're not ice/snow mountaineers! Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Josh

Don't know if you have been following the news but CA is in the 4th year of drought conditions, and 2015 might replace 1977 as the record low snow year... Given that, it did snow "significantly" yesterday, but if it is similar to the April 8th/9th "big dump" (over 2' in some places) it will soon melt off (the earlier dump was 'gone' in about 10 days). Check out the "Postholer" page - the only station showing significant snow is far northern WA, and it is below normal also.

With this last late snow, you will most likely still have some snow at high elevations on the northern aspects of the passes - but many thrus will be ahead of you and you will be following in their footsteps, not breaking trail through deep snow... Many thrus this year are not taking any traction devices or ice axes because of the extremely low snowpack amounts. Keep your eyes open on all the forums & Facebook pages for reports from the trail - one report (just before this last storm) even said that finding water was an issue between Kennedy Meadows & Cottonwood Pass - creeks dry and only good water at some low-flowing springs...

I do not believe you will have any serious problems dealing with the snow this year, but if snow is present on the passes time your approach for late morning after any icy crust has softened. Have a great hike!!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

"The longing to be primitive is a disease of culture."
George Santayana
enyapjr

Location: State College, PA (but born and raised in the "State of Jefferson"!)

Postby joshsmallbone » Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 am

Jim, this is super helpful. Thanks for your amazing information and we'll take your advice. Really appreciate your time.
joshsmallbone

Postby quaxmonster » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm

A bit late to the introductions party, but my name is Todd and I'm starting sobo from Hart's Pass on June 22. I'll head up north to the border before heading south for good. Looking forward to an adventure, and wondering what the water situation will be like in SoCal in October.

I've purchased the "official" guidebooks, but I'm thinking now after reading forums and journals and the FAQ that maybe all I need is the halfmile maps and my GPS (on my phone). Anyone else on the trail finding out that the books aren't worth their weight?
quaxmonster

Postby Soggy Fox » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Going on yet another section from Tuolumne to Donner Summit (I80). 215 miles in 10 days. Earlier this year I hiked from Mill Creek Summit to Tahachapi Pass
Soggy Fox

Previous

Return to Pacific Crest Trail