You gotta start somewhere and what I've about thru hiking is you better know why you're doing it. So I'm gonna try to air it out here and see....maybe this is the start of my journal.
Why a thru hike?
- Every man's gotta have a challenge - and with my mid-life crisis lurking around here somewhere, I need something to chase the clouds away
- it would be a monumental challenge for me. Physically more so than mentally, I think. But I love to walk, and I love to be outdoors, in the moment, and I can get in shape.
- It's on my bucket list. I've accomplished a lot of things in life - but this somehow has wraps a lot of the things I've learned, and wanted to learn / do, into one activity.
- Perhaps learn some wilderness skills and certainly some self reliance.
- Lose weight
- I need a break from work; the shine's worn off what I do.
Why the CDT?
- See some of the most beautiful, wild places this country has to offer
- It seems to be where everybody else, ain't
- Better star gazing than the AT, I'm betting. This is a big one.
- It's just tougher, by all accounts
- See parts of the country I've always wanted to see, or return to after many years (New Mexico)
- Visit Big Sky country - my brother now has a place there
So - what's your 'why'?