Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Thru Hike 2017

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Thru Hike 2017

Postby Craig7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Hi everyone...my name is Craig, I live in the UK and I am making my plans to thru hike 2017...start date open but early April looking best for me at minute...just checking in to see who is attempting it 2017 and what dates ect...hope to see you on the trail :D
Craig7

Re: Thru Hike 2017

Postby Craig7 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:31 am

Hi...Has anyone from outside USA sent re-supply boxes ahead on the trail...its going to cost a fortune from UK !.....so I'm thinking I may need to arrive USA earlier, well early enough to get boxes, do shopping ,pack up and send out...which throws up another question, will pick up points keep boxes all that time, I mean its going to be like 10 weeks ahead until I made the final few ?...OR..is it just best for me to plan my hike to hit supply stores and shop as I go ?
Thank you. :)
Craig7

Postby Leo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi,
You may try out some supply service, http://zerodayresupply.com/.
Never tried myself, just thought it being a solution to this very problem: How to resupply for non-US people?
Leo

Postby kiwi stu » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:32 am

Hi Craig.
I am coming from Brisbane Australia next year.
I will be using Zerodayresupply and buying as I go for the entire hike.
I came to the conclusion months ago...for me...that sending resupply boxes etc when I am coming from overseas is just a bridge to far,
Also..I do not want to be tied into being somewhere to pick up a box I had mailed there.
I think a lot of the post offices only hold boxes for 4 weeks max,
I want to be as free as a bird so to speak on my hike..and if I decide to go off trail or have multiple zeros somewhere I can just do it without worrying about resupply boxes sitting in a post office somewhere.
I have a mate in Portland, Oregon who will be holding a box for me with extra gear that I don't want to carry all the time.He will post out to me as I need it, and I will post grear back to him as I don't need it.
I have also organised with REI in Portland for him to pickup gear on my behalf..and he can post to me as I need it..eg..shoes..micro spikes..etc.
Go to you tube and search for PCT2017, Stu's Big Walk.
That's me..I have been documenting all my planning and logistics etc for the last 16 months..I am sure you will get a bit out of my vids.
Any questions just ask via my you tube..I don't come on this site too often.
Happy planning
see you next year
Stu
Stu
kiwi stu

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 am

You dont have to be a lot earlier to do boxes. You also do not send all boxes for the whole trail at once! What if you dont make it?
The PCT does not require too much boxes actually. You can buy on the go in most locations!
Get Yogis Guidebook, there you have all locations listed.

I would send two boxes in SoCal:

First box to Warner Springs (approx mile 105)

Second to Cajon Pass (Motel6) (mile 340)

I would prepare and send the Box for Kennendy Meadows (Mile700, Sierras entrance) from Agua Dulce (Mile 440)

...and so on. You can pack and send boxes from trailtowns if you want. best is to figure it out on the go.

happy trails
Matthias

Postby Teatime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:19 am

Hi Craig -

Yep I'm from the UK and I'm doing it in 2017 too. But my permit date is May 10. I'm going to do a section further up the trail first from about April 20, maybe Belden to Castella (need to figure out the snow), so I don't run short of time getting to the finish.

About resupply - I'm a veteran. I did the trail in 2015 and learned a lot about how to manage that stuff - main thing is don't over plan it. Your plan will be ruined within days anyway, so let it unfold naturally - and don't be worried. If you DM me, I can go into greater detail, but there's a million tracks you pick up very quick. For example, if you are lucky enough to not be too constrained by money, I found a brilliant resupply option called Amazon.com. They can deliver freeze dried food to the moon if you wanted. They got me out of a hole a few times.

But, anyway, DM me and I'll see if I can help.

Teatime
Teatime

Return to Pacific Crest Trail