Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

SunnyWalker CDT 2013

Tell us about yourself! The hiking community is a collection of folks from all walks of life, bound together by the activity of hiking. Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.

SunnyWalker CDT 2013

Postby SunnyWalker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm

I am preparing to hike the CDT NOBO starting this April 2013, thinking of mid or late April start. I will be 60 yrs old, and newly retired from being a Chaplain in Corrections with Texas Dept of Criminal Justice(TDCJ). I grew up in the Pacific NW where we were always hiking and camping as a family, in BSA and youth activities. Later I completed a trip with NW Outward Bound in the North Cascades of WA. Did some Mtn climbing in the NW after that as well as limited hiking and camping. College, marriage and career put all that fun on hold until I came to TX to work for TDCJ. When I could then the last 20 yrs, I would go hiking and camping in Big Bend and over by Sante Fe in the Sangre de Cristos Mtns. We live near Amarillo and that is West TX (where the West really begins!). My last day of work at the Unit is March 31, 2013. I will leave to start CDT about April 15 or 20-these are my planning dates. I have never hiked a thru hike. Let's see, did ride a bicycle from Pampa/Amarillo, TX to Oregon Coast camping all the way. Learned a lot about doing something slow like that and looking at the big miles ahead of you. I can relate it to what we call in prison, "doing time". You just let the time take care of itself, don't worry about it, don't keep looking at the calendar, counting the days etc., it'll just take care of itself and go by faster that way. On the bike ride, we started to get in a real hurry, looking at all those miles ahead of us (my son and I did this trip). We learned to ignore all that, just concentrate on today, have a good day, smell the roses, the miles will eventually add up and . . . Oh NO! It's over! (Thats the way I felt). My wife, Sarah, is going to meet up with me about 4-6 times along the CDT. She is my best friend and I love her very much. She has a lot of faith to let me go on this and to think I can do it. Sarah is a retired RN and still works 2-3 days a month at the Pampa Hospital. I have worked since 1978 as a full time minister, 13 of those years Pastoring local churches, the rest of the time as a professional Chaplain. About 1 yr accumulated in Hospital Chaplaincy, the rest in the Corrections setting. It's been a great career. I feel like I was involved in something very significant, made a contribution and did the will of God in my life. I have learned a lot about human behavior (practically speaking here), and feel I have worked with the best people one could work with. We have two kids: John, in USAF, an Arabic Linguist and Tech Sgt. Our daughter Ruth, married with two of the neatest grandsons. She works for United Grocery and is a great Mother and is married to a great son-in-law, Andrew. See you down the trail!
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Re: SunnyWalker CDT 2013

Postby jacksmith » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks for sharing information.
jacksmith

Return to Who's Who of Hiking