Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Dropping off or Starting fresh?

Tell us about yourself! The hiking community is a collection of folks from all walks of life, bound together by the activity of hiking. Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.

Dropping off or Starting fresh?

Postby TWTLOH » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 am

Hey, I'm Anthony and I just finished the JMT (July 4th - 18th) with a yearning for change. I work in the medical industry (San Diego) and put my resignation in the day I got back. I bought a 45 day train ticket to finally visit everyone that I have been postponing forever due to the unrelenting work ethics of most Americans. I also vowed to do the PCT and Tour Divide in 2014 while trying to maintain a simple life in the meanwhile. Unfortunately the Tour Divide (June 14th-ish) is right in the middle of the PCT, so, I will have to get through the Sierras and hightail it to Canada, finish the Tour Divide and then resume the PCT. Would I still be considered a thru-hiker if I have a 3-5 week gap?!? Hah, well it's an absolutely ridiculous and very ambitious goal that I am hoping to conquer. Time will tell. On my downtime I hike, bike, rebuild motorcycles, design gadgets, drink beers with friends and try to be active. I would like to add more volunteer work in the mix with both humanitarian work and trail work. Hit me up if you have ideas in the San Diego area..... well, anywhere really since I will be homeless in Sept. hah. Take care and look forward to getting good information from this site.
TWTLOH

Re: Dropping off or Starting fresh?

Postby gg-man » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:40 am

If June 14th is you departure date from the PCT then you would likely leave from Kennedy Meadows in early June. There is little chance you could make it through the Sierra and be on the Tour June 14th unless you get an abnormal snow year like '13.

I personally wouldn't want to give up the continuous non stop nature of a thru. You would leave everyone behind that you met and pick up from scratch on your return. May work for you though. Also, combining both activities into a year may end up causing you to sacrifice on both activities. I would pick one of them and live it to the max. A pct thru is certainly can be a life changing experience by itself.

Also, whether or not it is a thru hike or not, do what you want to do not be bound by rules of others. But, the predominate view of the definition of a thru hike is hiking he trail in a year. FWIW

Have fun!
gg-man

Postby TWTLOH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the input gg-man! I've contemplated the whole doing both at once for quite some time. I guess it depends if my girls comes with. If she does, I'll do the PCT thru, if not, then I will try and do both. I feel if I split it up then I get a chance to meet some of the late starters! I met a few while doing the JMT and had a blast hearing their stories and experiences. Putting my body through both of these will be trivial but without a time limit on finishing either, I can afford some zero day(s). Albeit, money might be a bit more tight. hah.
TWTLOH

Postby TWTLOH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:03 pm

TWTLOH wrote:I would like to add more volunteer work in the mix with both humanitarian work and trail work.

Just noticed the Volunteer section.......should have browsed the forums first!
TWTLOH

Postby North 350 Blades » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:17 pm

TWTLOH / Anthony: If you're a San Diego local interested in volunteering on the PCT, you have the PCT Trail Gorillas nearby. John Hachey is their contact focal - jhachey@pcta.org (note, many of the PCTA volunteers and volunteer groups have an @ PCTA e-mail address). This being the typically hot time of year, there isn't a whole lot on the posted schedule for So Cal on the PCT, but it would appear they have several projects lined up for September and on into October, and will certainly have some in the late winter / early spring time frame. Send him an e-mail and get on their radar screen.

Volunteering on the trail is a very rewarding way to spend a day. After a day of repairing tread or clearing brush, there is no mistaking that you made a difference in the condition of the trail.
North 350 Blades

Return to Who's Who of Hiking