Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

HOWDY FROM WA STATE!

Tell us about yourself! The hiking community is a collection of folks from all walks of life, bound together by the activity of hiking. Introduce yourself and let us know who you are.

HOWDY FROM WA STATE!

Postby karmagurl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi! Just stopped in to say "howdy" and see what's up on the boards. Nice boards and clean too. Nice way to do things. ;-) Love Switchback's humor.

I'm from WA state, 43, female and have been in the outdoors most of my life. Love to hike and camp in its many forms. I don't care as long as I'm outdoors. =)

Plan on hiking the PCT- or as much of it as I can, in 2008.

Keep up the good work here on Postholer. It's lookin to be a great site so far, and should serve us all well into the future.

Peace!
Karmagurl
The more I know, the more I know I don't.
karmagurl

Postby desert rat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:41 am

Hi Karmagurl,,I to plan on hiking the whole thing from april 08 till ???it is done,, have years to complete,,no hurry.. Anything you or others can tell me about would be welcome to say the least. most questions are answered on forum and journal,,but there are always the ones that got you forget to ask..has anyone done this with a dog??? if so what was the major problems,,if any....thank-you for your time...desert rat
desert rat

Postby karmagurl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:16 pm

What do you want to know about? There is lots and lots of information out there on the net, you just have to search it out. It's amazing what I have found out there.
Yes, folks have hiked the PCT with a dog, but I do know dogs aren't allowed on certain sections of the PCT, my thinking is National Parks. Those will be your main obstacle- check ahead of time for the status, so you know where they are allowed, and where they aren't. I know that they are not allowed on trails inside Mt Rainier National Park.
As for gear and helpful guide books.....there are more books than you can shake a stick at...my own suggestion as to books would be as follows:
Yogi's guide- best one out there!!
The PCT Data book- best 10 bucks you will ever spend.
The Wilderness Press Series - So-Cal, No-Cal, and OR/WA- 20 bucks each, check the website- some of them are being updated shortly. They also carry recent updates to the books themselves! =) Other than that, you really don't need much more than a compass to guide you through the PCT. For a great cookbook/recipe book/helpful hint book, get the book "Lipsmackin' Backpackin'" by Tim and Christine Conners. Great little helpful book! Those were the only books I purchased for the trip. I also was the very grateful recipient of several DVD videos of the PCT, from 2002 to the present, and man , if those don't make you want to go, nothing will! Absolutely spectacular. And no, I don't have a DVD recorder at present. :x I know, bummer, huh?
As for gear, that is so much a personal choice, I couldn't even guess as to where to begin. The one piece of gear I recommend to everyone who hikes regularly, and this includes thru hikers, is Henry Shire's Tarptent- in whatever 1-2 man configuration you decide is best for you. After consulting with Henry Shires himself, I chose the Double Rainbow- he says the "Rainbow" series is the best for heavier storms/snow load, and claims 3+ season useage. Of course, tents, like sleeping bags, packs, and other things, are a matter of personal preference. But, if you want to carry around a 4-5 lb tent, that is fine with me. I will carry Henry Shire's 2.5 lb tent (including EVERYTHING), and be happy that that extra 2.5 lbs is off my back. :lol:
As for a backpack, most carry something resembling a bag with straps- or an ultralight pack of some sort. I have an interesting situation with my lower back, so that won't work for me.
As for a sleeping bag, I took an old mountain man's advice and bought what is known as a "zero bag"...or a bag that goes down to at least 0F. Mine goes down to -5F in fact, and is in fact down, so special care will have to be taken so it doesn't get wet. I've already cured that problem with a Sea To Summit DrySak Compression Bag. ;)
The other thing I did that I really like alot is that I got several Sea to Summit Dry Saks of varying weights/sizes for my gear bags/clothing bag.....some ultrasil for lighter weight things like my first aid kit, and clothes, and some a bit heavier, like food. They weigh less than the regular gear bags, and stay dry too boot! Nice thing is too, you can suspend the bags from their end loops from your pack, or a tree or a rope or whatever....And they are tough as nails. The heavier duty bags are lined with a white coating of some sort, and I've even used these to carry back ice/soda from a nearby store when I was out camping....so they are tough bags. Get them in 1L, 2L and 4L sizes- that is usually large enough, perhaps one in an 8L size. Cost is a bit steep to begin with, but they pay you back with DRY gear. (avg 10-15$ a bag)
If you want to share your gear list via PM, great, I'd be happy to share mine also. Compare and see if either of us can improve from the other. Who knows? Or we can share them here if you like- I wouldn't mind a bit. That way others can see a realistic gear list from an average backpacker.
Peace!
KarmaGurl
The more I know, the more I know I don't.
karmagurl

Return to Who's Who of Hiking