Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

I cannot download my journal

The place to go for all information regarding journal support. This is also a good place to make feature requests.

Moderator: postholer

I cannot download my journal

Postby tbrann » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 am

I have tried to download my journal and save to a memory stick. When I do it does not resolve into a journal, I only get source code. And the entries in the source code only go up to August 2 (I have entries all the way until October 4). After the August 2 entry it says

Error processing recource file :///G:/myJournal-627.xml Line 3188 Position 138.

After that I get the beginning of the August 3rd entry, and that is it. And again, it is all in source code with no photos.

-Terry Brann
tbrann

Re: I cannot download my journal

Postby postholer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 am

tbrann wrote:I have tried to download my journal and save to a memory stick. When I do it does not resolve into a journal, I only get source code. And the entries in the source code only go up to August 2 (I have entries all the way until October 4).

Using FireFox 3.6 and Internet Explorer 8, I was able to download your journal with the last entry of 10-4-10 with no errors. Make sure you are using a browser that handles xml format, or save to file and don't try to open it with your browser.

When you download your journal it is in xml format. This is far and away the most common way of transferring text data on the web.

A common misconception folks have is, they expect their downloaded journal will look and have the same functionality that it has on the postholer site. That is simply not possible.

Photos are not included in the downloaded journal. Only text that you probably don't have copies for.

This is a backup of your journal data only, nothing more.

Hope that helps!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Cannot download my journal

Postby Charlie Hyde » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 pm

My issue is the same as tbrann's. Even though using IE8 and attempting to download and save as XML, I get almost nothing, just a little text from one entry.
Could you try downloading mine or give me advice?
Thanks, Charlie Hyde (Tahoma 29), class of 2010
Charlie Hyde

Re: Cannot download my journal

Postby postholer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Charlie Hyde wrote:My issue is the same as tbrann's. Even though using IE8 and attempting to download and save as XML, I get almost nothing, just a little text from one entry.

It should work now. Apologies for the inconvenience!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: I cannot download my journal

Postby hike4life » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 am

Our Journal Download is incomplete, stopping short at July 9th 2012. Any thoughts?
Live Love Life
hike4life

Return to Journal Support