Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Search engine for journal creators and journal readers

The place to go for all information regarding journal support. This is also a good place to make feature requests.

Moderator: postholer

Search engine for journal creators and journal readers

Postby spookyjimjams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 pm

I read about 4 journals each year, but I never know the people making them. Therefore, I usually end up browsing through journals that have high view counts because those tend to be updated often and the most interesting.

I was wondering if there is a way when a journal creator is making their account that they are asked some optional questions that I as a reader may use to find journals that I may want to read.

For example:

Home state
Home town
Hiking status (planned single, double, group)
Hiking style (ultralight, ultra speed, casual, etc)
Hiking duration (thru, section)
Hiking direction (NOBO, SOBO)
Hiking experience on current trail (1st attempt, 2nd attempt)
Hiking experience on other trails (PCT, CDT, AT, etc)

Thanks!
spookyjimjams

Re: Search engine for journal creators and journal readers

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 am

First, last, trail name, city, state and country are all optional fields on the 'Journal Setup' page. Other info is required.

Yes, I completely agree, a tabular representation of extended information would be easier to search.

With that said, all the information you've suggested is easily gleaned from the first few journal entrys, without a huge investment of time should you not wish to follow that journal. This is good as it requires you to engage with hiker. It is also a deterent to those who are just looking to programatically scrape hiker info off the site. Also, it lets the journalist decide what level of privacy suits them.

There are other sites that collect and display large amounts of info about hikers in a tabular manner. If it was my info, I would be not be thrilled.

As always, thanks for the feedback!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Journal Support