Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Welcome to Journal Support!

The place to go for all information regarding journal support. This is also a good place to make feature requests.

Moderator: postholer

Welcome to Journal Support!

Postby postholer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:13 pm

This is the place to discuss journal hosting topics.

Use this forum for discussing journal issues you may have with other journalists. It's also a good place to learn what other folks are doing.

I'll be checking in daily to see how you folks are getting along.

Thanks!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby jack5455 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 am

I recently set up a journal and I can access it. But if I do a search (so friends can find it) using my journal name, then I get a reply of "no journals found".
jack5455

Searching...

Postby postholer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 pm

jack5455 wrote:I recently set up a journal and I can access it. But if I do a search (so friends can find it) using my journal name, then I get a reply of "no journals found".

When searching by name the search looks for your username or some part of it. Your username is 'jack5455'. So, if you search for 'jack' or 'jack54' it will return the results.

It doesn't search on your real name, just your username.

It's good to see you here!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby jack5455 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:04 pm

I seem to be photo challenged; at least as far as posting a photo. I tried via email - the text went through but no photo. I tried to edit the on line entry including lowering the resolution of the file. Still nothing. I am sure it is a simple thing but I don't see it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
jack5455

Image size

Postby postholer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:19 pm

jack5455 wrote:I seem to be photo challenged; at least as far as posting a photo. I tried via email - the text went through but no photo. I tried to edit the on line entry including lowering the resolution of the file. Still nothing.

It's going to be one of 2 things, either the file is not a jpg or it is too large.

An easy way to tell if the image is too large is to do this simple math:

width x height x 4

It must be less than 10MB. I know it's a hassle, but it ensures the photo will upload. This limitation is due to image handling routines and
allocated server resources.

In the case of an emailed photo the image file size cannot be larger than 2MB nor can it exceed the 10MB rule above.

Hope that helps!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Oudeis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:33 am

I tested posting by e mail recently & noticed that most of the formatting I had put into my e mail did not appear when it appeared on Postholer.com. Is there a way to preserve 1) font size, 2) bold/italic 3) line breaks and spacing when e mailing a post into Postholer.com?

Tx
Oudeis

Emailed entry formatting

Postby postholer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Oudeis wrote:I tested posting by e mail recently & noticed that most of the formatting I had put into my e mail did not appear when it appeared on Postholer.com. Is there a way to preserve 1) font size, 2) bold/italic 3) line breaks and spacing when e mailing a post into Postholer.com?

Those are good questions and the answer is kinda tricky, but the short answer is 'yes' to all three.

EMail programs often send a message in multiple formats, ie, plain text and html. Given the number of different formats, the journal program tosses all formats except plain text as it's the only format that is always sent.

For every different email program, there's a different way that an email is put together before it is sent. Again, plain text is the lowest common denominator and is used above all else.

Soooo, if you want to ensure your email fonts, italics are preserved you would actually need to put the html tags in your email, which would require knowing some html.

That's the ugly answer and my apologies for not being more concise or helpful.

It's good to see you here and have lots 'o fun with your trip planning!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Oudeis » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:54 pm

Ok,

Thanks for the info. I was going to try saving my "doc" file as HTML using MSWORD (they call is "Save As Web Page" then explain that means HTML.

I will try this with a test page & send it to Postholer, but just wondered what you thought of that approach. Also, specifically, what do you think MS Word will do to your tags (eg {date: } tags which will be in the text that MS WORD converts to HTML?

Tx,

Rich Brock
Oudeis

formatting

Postby postholer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Oudeis wrote:I was going to try saving my "doc" file as HTML using MSWORD (they call is "Save As Web Page" then explain that means HTML.

...what do you think MS Word will do to your tags (eg {date: }

MS-Word does an awful job at saving as html. Try it though, see how it works. If it works for you, great. But be warned, your journal entrys will be filled with alot of junk.

Frankly, I wouldn't sweat the fancy formatting from email. It's always something you can add later in town stops.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Oudeis » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Ha,

I thought it was too easy to think that MS had the solution for html. Thanks for the feedback. I'll likely be formatting from town but will try the MSWORD solution first just as a sanity check.

Rich
Oudeis

Postby yoyodadio » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

How do I remove a journal? yoyodadio37@gmail.com
yoyodadio

Re: Journal Removal

Postby postholer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm

yoyodadio wrote:How do I remove a journal?

Go to 'Journal Setup':

If you only have 1 journal, scroll to the bottom and type 'delete' in the box and click the Delete button.

If you have more than 1 journal, at the top select the journal you want to delete and make it your 'active journal'. Save, then return to 'Journal Setup' and delete it.

Hope that helps!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Cant upload pictures

Postby Spitfire » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Howdy,
I am having real problems downloading pictures from my hike. I continue to get this message...I have tried to use Chrome & I. explorer???
This webpage is not available
The webpage at http://postholer.com/journal/editJournal...... might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 103 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED): Unknown error.
Spitfire

Return to Journal Support