Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Journal Photo Uploading and Size

The place to go for all information regarding journal support. This is also a good place to make feature requests.

Moderator: postholer

Journal Photo Uploading and Size

Postby Miner » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:28 pm

A couple of minor issues/suggestions for handling photos. If its hard to do or there are reasons for the existing behavior, that's fine. But it would be nice if things could be changed some.

1) Is there a way you could make it easier to upload multiple photos for a journal entry (say being able to select upto 5 at a time)? Having to upload 1 photo at a time when I want to add 5 to each entry is a pain when you are adding photos to multiple journal entries at a single session.

2) I understand the necessity of resizing uploaded photos to a smaller size for storage on your server. But rather than having a set maximum size on the dimensions, could you change it to a maximum number of pixels instead. Or perhaps add more then 1 size template to use for photos with different aspect ratios. On my recent TRT journal, I uploaded several panorama photos which are extra wide and as they were resized to be the same width as a normal aspect ratio photo, they became half height and look very tiny. On the normal journal entry page, being displayed that way is fine. But when you click to view the enlarge image, it would be nice if they were allowed to have the same number of total pixels as the normal photos and thus be allowed to be viewed wider at say 3/4 height.

3) Default side that photos are displayed on is the right side with the journal summary bar on the left. But on journal entries with no photos, the summary bar is displayed on the right. So that summary bar flips around to different sides as you read entries when photos aren't always added to each entry. I know you can manually change the side photos are added to, but it would be nice if the default made it behave the same.
Miner

Re: Journal Photo Uploading and Size

Postby Mambo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:01 am

So Im having a problem uploading photos via email. When I create my journal and send everything is perfect except the photo it has been landscaped. The photo was taken in portrait. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance!
Mambo

Postby Mambo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 am

StarMan wrote:I think I have a work around for the iPhone upload rotation problem. If you find that your iPhone photos randomly rotate when trying to post, then here is a theory and fix.

When an "I" device talks to another Apple device the image rotation is not a factor. However, when trying to view an image on an another non-Apple device some secret code seems to be missing. So.......

I found that if I simply edit the image in the "Photos" App by choosing the Edit button. Then I choose the crop function. Then I rotate the image 90 degrees and hit Done. Then I choose the crop function again and rotate the image until it is correct and choose done. Sounds a little wonky, but it worked for me.

What I figure is the act of editing the photo by rotating, saving and rotating again adds some secret universal code that even a Windows or Android device can read.

Now if someone can tell me how to edit the image name of a photo on my iPhone, I would be very happy. Seems that the default for loading multiple images is simply "image.jpg".

I found this guys post and tried it and it worked. what a hassle to go thru every time I want to update my journal. About 50% of my photos are portrait
Mambo

Postby postholer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:16 pm

So, we've made some updates to this.

First, the image exif information is read and images are rotated accordingly. No need to rotate photos any longer, unless you intentionally want them sideways. If your images aren't rotating as you expect, it probably means your image was copied once or multiple times and the exif info was lost.

Second, upload as many images as you want with duplicate names. This corrects iThings habit of uploading all images with the file name 'image'.

Lastly, if you do have images with improper orientation, you can now rotate them right from the 'Edit Entry' page.

As a reminder, you can only upload one photo at a time. While this may seem draconian, it is not. Imagine you're out on the trail with questionable wifi access and decide to upload your journal entrys with 5 HUGE images attached. Your journal will not update. You will find many times along the trail, any trail, where network resources are lacking.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby BevoHi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:56 pm

I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to upload 4 or 5 photos in a single e-mail post to my blog. It only keeps the last photo of the bunch I send. Please help!

yes, I'm using an iPhone 6s.
I find that if I upload a single pic with the e-mail blog entry, it works just fine. However, when I try to go an add some other photos via the mobile web interface (http://www.postholer.com/mobi), it won't take the pictures from my camera roll directly because they are too big. E-mail solves that problem by offering to re-size the photos in the e-mail before sending it along to myjournal@postholer.com. However, back to point 1, it eats all but the last picture I send using that method.

I don't think there is a way to add a single picture via e-mail to an existing blog entry. I think it just over-writes that blog entry for the day. :(

Please help!

BevoHi
2016 AT thru-hiker hopeful
BevoHi

Postby postholer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:05 pm

BevoHi wrote:I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to upload 4 or 5 photos in a single e-mail post to my blog. It only keeps the last photo of the bunch I send. Please help!

"As a reminder, you can only upload one photo at a time. While this may seem draconian, it is not. Imagine you're out on the trail with questionable wifi access and decide to upload your journal entrys with 5 HUGE images attached. Your journal will not update. You will find many times along the trail, any trail, where network resources are lacking."

Wait till your back in town to add additional photos. This will totally make sense when you're out on the trail! :D

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby BevoHi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:32 pm

I have read a bunch of the Journal Support entries here and you sound like a wizard in making things work.

I hear what you are saying about being draconian. However, it is super easy for me to queue up an e-mail with multiple pictures and my entire blog entry for the day. The key is that the e-mail really isn't all that large when I use the iPhone option to allow e-mail to resize the pictures to less than a megabyte for the whole set of 5 pictures. The iPhone does all of the work to resize the pictures to get under the size limit of postholer.com (which I totally understand space requirements for servers).

The magic of the iPhone e-mail method is that it will resize all of the pictures to meet the desired needs. For example an e-mail with 5 pictures from the back camera (the good one) will be
12.9Megs for Full Size. (about 2.6megs each which is .6megs over the postholer.com size limit for each picture)
6.1Megs for Large.
714kb for Medium and
161kb for Small.

I'd be very happy with the Medium size photos for a blog entry (5 photos totaling less than a meg).

In the meantime, I can deal with having a single picture in an initial blog entry. However, when I get into town and try to use the web interface to upload more pictures (on wifi), I have to fight size of my photos to somehow meet the limitations of postholer.com. :(
1) I can go buy an app that will resize pictures. Now I'll have two copies of the same picture on my iPhone (my only device on the trail) and will have to sort that out later somehow by looking at the Exif Information embedded into the photo.
2) I can e-mail the smaller pictures to myself, and then save them to the camera roll and deal with the duplicate pictures like I did for #1.
3) Figure out some other location to put the pictures and then create links to them from postholer.com. This is not desirable because the postholer picture viewer is very well integrated IMHO.

What would be super cool is if Postholer.com could handle multiple pictures in an e-mail.... or give me the option to "update" a blog post for a day with an additional picture and the associated caption for that picture instead of replacing the entire blog entry for that day with just the picture.

Is there any chance we can make one of these options easy to work via e-mail updates?

BevoHi
2016 AT Thru-hiker hopeful
BevoHi

Postby postholer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:29 pm

BevoHi, you represent the 'best case' scenario. You're obviously taking the time to resize photos before you send them. That's really cool!

Unfortunately, it's the worst case I've have to design things for. If I allow multiple photos per email, some folks will send huge attachments and when the email doesn't go through, they'll complain about what a crappy service the email update is.

Those are the inevitable circumstances that I have to design for.

Updating journal entry photos with additional emails is not as straight forward as it appears. There are several glaring issues that come to mind. Let me mull it over and possibly create a solution.

And hey, thanks for the feedback! It's good for the site and those who use it.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby BevoHi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 am

Postholer -
I am super impressed with your quick responses and willingness to adapt the code to make blogging work better for those of us on the trail.
I might suggest that setting an e-mail size limit for those sending multiple pictures may be the best way to keep everyone happy. Let's start with a 5 meg limit on the size of an e-mail. If something comes in larger than that, an auto-reply to the original user stating that size of the e-mail is over the limit would give them the feedback they need to reduce the size of the attachments. It sets the expectations each time they forget to send the smaller pictures. If folks try to send a huge e-mail (12megs) and it doesn't go through due to spotty data service on the trail, those will simply be resent when a person gets to town (mostly) automatically.

The thing I don't want to do when I get to a town is to spend a bunch of time on my phone updating pictures when I should be attending to my other chores (shower, food shopping, P.O. box, eating, recharging devices, etc.) On the flipside, I expect I'll have lot's of time in my hammock each evening while I recap the day in an e-mail with (up to) 5 pictures. Let the iPhone resize them down so the entire e-mail is under a few megs, and presto, the blog will post when I am in a data-service area for my cell phone carrier (Verizon). I won't have to remember which pictures were taken 3-4 days ago when I get to a town. I imagine the days will blur together when I'm hiking 15miles per day.

I read in the blogs that you have written some code to allow for pictures that are named the same thing (stupid iThingies). That is awesome. It is very difficult to rename pictures on an iPhone. It requires a 3rd party application to make it happen. Those of us on the trail will typically only have our one (iPhone/Android) device for the duration of the trail, so your modification to the code to allow photos with the same name was super appreciated!

Anyway, I truly do appreciate your willingness to work on improving the experience for us as we hike our hikes!

-BevoHi
BevoHi

Postby BevoHi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:26 pm

I was able to post 146 days of my Appalachian Trail.
I have to say it was a major pain in the arse to have to upload each picture individually.
You will be able to see that I e-mailed 5 pictures per day (at medium quality). I had to have two other people at home that were willing to fight the web interface to upload the extra 4 pictures. There are so many extra clicks in that ordeal, that I'm sad that you won't allow multiple pictures in a single e-mail.

Please re-consider for the next people that go out hiking on a trail.

-BevoHi
BevoHi

Return to Journal Support