Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Welcome to Postholer Google Maps!

Anything concerning the Postholer Google Maps. This may be feature requests, marker information updates or bug reports.

Moderator: postholer

Welcome to Postholer Google Maps!

Postby postholer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:00 am

Postholer Maps: http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php

Features
+ The best interactive trail map detail to be found anywhere on the web
+ Document your hike and share it with others
+ Show location of each journal entry on the map
+ Add your own Places, such as Photo's, Maildrops, Campsites, etc
+ Bookmark any location or Place marker, at any zoom level, with any map type
+ Resizable view to fit any size monitor

Map Information
Any registered user can add information to the maps. This forum is an ideal method of letting folks know about information that may need to be updated on the maps page.

To contact the contributor of the information presented, either send them a private message or contact them here. This is an excellent way to keep map data current. Use the links on the map data page to contact the contributor.

User Support
If you have any feature requests, questions or bug reports, this is the place to let us know.

Browser Support
Postholer Maps is a very javascript intensive application. Ideal browsers are FireFox 2+, Internet Explorer 6+. IE7 is preferred over IE6 as it uses a much improved method of drawing over IE6. FireFox 2+ is just excellent.

Credits
The postholer maps would not be possible without the data from the following sources:

Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) - USFS
Continental Divide Trail (CDT) - CDTA and various government agencies
Appalachian Trail (AT) - AT Conservancy
John Muir Trail (JMT) - Chris "Mr Parkay" Johnson
Grand Enchantment Trail (GET) - Brett "Blisterfree" Tucker
Arizona Trail (AZT) - Brett "Blisterfree" Tucker
Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT) - Chris "Mr Parkay" Johnson
Sierra High Route (SHR) - www.OnTheTrail.org

-postholer
Last edited by postholer on Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
postholer
Site Admin

A BIG Thank You 4 a Great Map !

Postby Peacemeal » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:30 am

It was enough hard work just finding a useable map of the AT on the internet. I can only imagine how much work you put into bringing it to the public. I'd trade my 1st born to get a footpath download of that nice blue line for my GPS.

Many many thanks for your hard work !
Peacemeal

Re: A BIG Thank You 4 a Great Map !

Postby postholer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Peacemeal wrote:I'd trade my 1st born to get a footpath download of that nice blue line for my GPS.

Thanks for the comments Peacemeal!

Actually, I think the ATC has the very same data points in a format that you can download to your gps. That's where this sites data points originate from.

The data points are 5 years old, so you will find some descrepancies.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to Postholer Google Maps!

Postby the_gr8t_waldo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 pm

in the past I'
I've come to rely on google maps of the pct. after being away from hiking for two years, I now find that I'm unable to bring them up, using the posthole site( or any of the other listed hikes, for that matter). Is there a secret to getting them again? It would be a real shame to loose this hiking resource.
the_gr8t_waldo

Postby postholer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:58 pm

the_gr8t_waldo wrote: I'm unable to bring them up, using the posthole site( or any of the other listed hikes, for that matter). Is there a secret to getting them again? It would be a real shame to loose this hiking resource.

I made some changes earlier today and broke something in the process. It should be working now. Apologies for the inconvenience.
postholer
Site Admin

Postby the_gr8t_waldo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:36 am

one day after receiving this message, I checked and it wasn't coming up. ...I just tried it again. unfortunately it's still not coming up. just thought you'd like to know... could this be some sorta failing on my end?....warren
the_gr8t_waldo

Postby pckopp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:38 am

New member Phil here.
A friend pointed this site to me.

I see several Google maps of various trails and routes. I have spent a lot of time in the back country and I don't understand how I can use these maps correctly. There often is no cell service or wifi out in the mountains, so using these Google maps on my phone or tablet won't work.

On my dual-sport bike and for hiking I use a GPS unit. I often load tracks as a way of following someone's shared adventure.

So, my question. How do you folks use a Google map of some trail when you are out and away from the internet? Is there a way to download a GPX file of these maps? Do users upload a GPX file of their tracks to create one of these maps?

Thanks!
pckopp

Postby postholer » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:04 pm

pckopp wrote:There often is no cell service or wifi out in the mountains, so using these Google maps on my phone or tablet won't work.

How do you folks use a Google map of some trail when you are out and away from the internet? Is there a way to download a GPX file of these maps? Do users upload a GPX file of their tracks to create one of these maps?

We would never advocate electronic format maps as a singular means of navigation, only as a supplement. Use printed maps.

Internet connectivity isn't a concern or a requirement in the back country. The google maps are a great planning tool. Google map availability will increase as global internet coverage becomes available in the coming years. Even today, these maps are available on the majority of the Appalachian Trail.

We don't have the facility for users to upload track files. All tracks are added as available, with at least a minimal amount of quality control, though we don't guarantee accuracy. Our intent is not to be a bizarre of map tracks of every shape and size.

For the download of data, check out Project GIS.
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Google Maps