Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Updated CDT Map

Anything concerning the Postholer Google Maps. This may be feature requests, marker information updates or bug reports.

Moderator: postholer

Updated CDT Map

Postby postholer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:02 pm

The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) map has been updated to show a mostly complete trail:

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=2

The data used for this trail trace is a combination of 3 files available from the USFS. Those files are:

http://www.fs.fed.us/cdt/google/trail_p ... 042507.kmz
http://www.fs.fed.us/cdt/google/cdt_roa ... 042507.kmz
http://www.fs.fed.us/cdt/google/cdt_tra ... 042507.kmz

The CDT is not a complete trail. Many different routes can be taken. The intent of this map and all postholer maps are for the purpose of planning, not navigation.

Have fun!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Ellie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks Scott
Ellie

Postby p-fitz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 am

Very cool. Thanks Scott. Is this the "official" CDT route?
p-fitz

Re: Updated CDT Map

Postby postholer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:37 pm

p-fitz wrote:Very cool. Thanks Scott. Is this the "official" CDT route?

To politely dodge your question, the data is from the USFS. So, that's as close to official as I can get! :)
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Ellie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 pm

In the middle of planning for the CDT this April. After pouring through numerous maps, there appear to be several routes for the CDT. The current most popular appears to be the one used by Jonathan Ley. His USGS maps plotting his route are great.

I plan on posting my GPS coordinates to Postholer. I'm guessing that if others did the same, we might just see several different little trails winding up the CDT "corridor." :)
Ellie

Postby postholer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Ellie wrote:I plan on posting my GPS coordinates to Postholer. I'm guessing that if others did the same, we might just see several different little trails winding up the CDT "corridor." :)

That is absolutely right on the money!

Of course we all look forward to your journal Ellie. 8)
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Otis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Postholer
I am just getting into the digital mapping and Google Maps and working on putting the available surface geologic mapping over the bases in Google Maps and Google Earth for use in the field. Was building my route for part of the CDT and GET in the Gila and Leopold wilderness areas. I note your posted route comes from the USFS? It does however differ from any of the CDT routes through the Gila area that I found on the CDT sites, (all the routes I found go East over into the Leopold and the Black Range instead of using the Gila River trail and the Sheep Corral trail). I agree that since there is no official track that it does not really matter which route is displayed as a trail reference map on your site, but just for information to all, I did find a file that displayed the CDT route through NM ( CDNST_NM2010_Full Trail) and put it in Google Earth. I cant find which site I got it from or cant even find the full file name ( am lame with such things), but it is nice to view, in that it shows the track in one color (red) when route is on a trail and another ( yellow) when route follows a road. It looks fairly accurate when placed over sat image in google earth and viewed close up. Appreciate your work on the site with the maps , Thanks
Picks up Stones
Otis

Postby postholer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 pm

The USFS now has the official and current track of the CDT. The problem is, they aren't making the data publicly available. We can only hope that they soon will!

Having that data publicly available allows all of us to create with it given our own specialties. This, of course, will help bring greater awareness to the CDT. That is in everyones best interest.

Keep your fingers crossed! :D

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Google Maps