Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Google Maps Print View

Anything concerning the Postholer Google Maps. This may be feature requests, marker information updates or bug reports.

Moderator: postholer

Google Maps Print View

Postby postholer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm

If you've ever wanted to print out your own custom Postholer Google Maps we've made it a bit easier.

From the map page click on the 'PrintView' link near the top. This will open a second window with nothing but the map you are currently viewing, sans the Google tools. This means it can be Topo, Street, Satellite, etc.

The trail trace will only print in Internet Explorer. If you are using FireFox or Opera the trace won't print. It's a known issue of Google Maps and they will fix it at some point in the future.

This feature can be real handy for printing out town maps as well as maps for the trail. However, we strongly discourage the use of these maps for the purpose of navigation. Splurge and get yourself the guidebooks or appropriate maps.

From the 'PrintView' map go to the IE File->Print Preview menu and play around with the settings. You can get some very cool results with the 'custom' settings.

Edit: ...and back by popular demand, "If you use these maps for navigation you will die."

-postholer 8)
Last edited by postholer on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Google Maps Print View

Postby p-fitz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am

postholer wrote:However, we strongly discourage the use of these maps for the purpose of navigation.

Whatever happened to the days of "you will die if you use these maps?" This warning seems so tame by comparison.
p-fitz

Postby JimWagner » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:59 pm

The maps print beautifully in Macintosh "Safari" browser. I can make a pdf or send it direct to a printer. I have not checked Firefox or any of the other Mac browsers.

Jim Wagner
Tangent, OR
JimWagner

Postby JimWagner » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:01 pm

Should have said: Prints beautifully with the trail overlay...

Jim Wagner
JimWagner

Postby postholer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for the info! I hadn't tried it with Safari. I assume various copyright issues apply when printing, such as the MyTopo map type.

Print view is an unobscured way of viewing those maps. So use at your descretion!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Wizard_Mentor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Has this feature been disable? I can't find PrintView anywhere. :(
Wizard_Mentor

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Wizard_Mentor wrote:Has this feature been disable? I can't find PrintView anywhere. :(

Yep, it's been disabled. :(

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby mjurasius » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

I want to include a portion of Postholer's Google Map with hiking progress in my WordPress blog. Is there a way to chop out the advertisement header at the top of the map?
mjurasius

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:08 am

mjurasius wrote:I want to include a portion of Postholer's Google Map with hiking progress in my WordPress blog. Is there a way to chop out the advertisement header at the top of the map?

Yes. The following page shows how to embed the postholer map in your web page or how to make a pop up link:

http://postholer.com/gmap/embeddedMapExample.html

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Google Maps