Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

SPOT on Postholer Maps/Journal

Anything concerning the Postholer Google Maps. This may be feature requests, marker information updates or bug reports.

Moderator: postholer

SPOT on Postholer Maps/Journal

Postby postholer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:10 am

Those with a SPOT device can now have their locations show up on postholer maps from their journals. Every time a reader clicks on the map link or lat/lon link from your journal, your SPOT locations will appear.

Follow the simple instructions below:
http://postholer.com/journal/help.php?#spot

That's it! You're all set.

A huge thanks to Dan Cohen for his persistence and information provided to this project!

-postholer 8)
Last edited by postholer on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
postholer
Site Admin

Postby enyapjr » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:10 am

Sounds great, postholer... Thanks for yet another unique feature added to the
Postholer Journals...

The SPOT has been on my list of 'considerations' - NOT as an emergency device, but
rather a way to 'share' my journey with family and friends by sending out a daily
location, or two (plus I could have record of my 'camp' spots after the trek, also)...
Family and friends could get a feel for my surroundings at each location via the
satellite, terrain, MyTopo, and Earth view options... It may relieve some of their
potential stress knowing my location(s) when I'm 'out of touch' for up to 10 days!

Hopefully at least one of the '09 Postholer Journals will utilize this feature - I'd
like to show the possibilities to some family/friends...

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA
Jim (PITA)

"The longing to be primitive is a disease of culture."
George Santayana
enyapjr

Location: State College, PA (but born and raised in the "State of Jefferson"!)

Great!

Postby Ellie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 am

What a great feature! I used my SPOT on the PCT last year, and will definitely set it up for this feature on the CDT this year. My family and friends love this!

Thanks Postholer!

Just one quick question. Will they be able to view the exact same Google maps that they do via SPOT?
Ellie

SPOT

Postby Ellie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 am

Very easy to set-up. I especially like the "delay" feature. I have a 12 hour delay. The real-time tracking was the only reason I never made my SPOT access public.

Everything is all set, and I am ready to go.

Thanks again
Ellie

Re: Great!

Postby postholer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Ellie wrote:Will they be able to view the exact same Google maps that they do via SPOT?

Similar, but better. You'll be viewing from the postholer maps, which means there is a CDT trail trace unlike the SPOT google map. You also have topo map view available. The SPOT location is marked with a yellow/red dot. If you're putting lat/lng's into your daily journal entrys, those locations will be marked as well with the blue journal dot.

To view from the postholer map, just click on the 'Continental Divide Trail Map' link that is in every journal entry. Your spot locations will appear accounting for the optional time delay.

Dan Cohen provided the info needed. Had I known it was so simple, I'd done last year.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Friends List

Postby Ellie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Postholer

There is not a specific Friends List on the SPOT site. Is the postholer e-mail address added where the contact addresses are listed on the message profile page? If so, I believe a message is only sent when the ok button is selected, and not if tracking is used. Do you know if this is correct? I just track with it, so I don't know if the waypoints will show?

Thanks for the help
Ellie

Re: Friends List

Postby postholer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Ellie wrote:I believe a message is only sent when the ok button is selected

That is correct. Add spot@postholer.com to the list of folks who get notified when the OK button is pressed.

I'm unfamiliar with the tracking feature, so I can't say anything informed about it.

Apologies for not being of more help!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

SPOT

Postby Ellie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 pm

You have been very helpful. Thanks again for the feature.
Ellie

UPDATE: SPOT in your journal

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 pm

SPOT in your journal is turning into a big success! Folks are really liking this feature.

Setting it up is easy! We've updated the instructions on how to do this. You can view them at:
http://postholer.com/journal/help.php?#spot

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby p-fitz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:04 am

I have some questions about the new integrated SPOT feature. I used the SPOT feature last year by cutting and pasting the lat/long into the journal entry. It seems that cutting and pasting is no longer necessary if a hiker simply follows the instructions for having the signal sent straight to postholer. Those instructions state:

"When a reader views your journal your SPOT locations can be viewed in 2 ways, either clicking on the map link, ie, 'Pacific Crest Trail Map' or the Latitude or Longitude link (if lat/lon exists in the entry). Your location will appear as a small red and yellow 'S' icon on the map. Click on the icon to zoom into that location."

It seems to me that there are actually 3 ways- the 2 stated above, plus a link that appears on some journals that says "see last SPOT location." What is difference between entering the lat/long manually vs. having it sent straight to postholer?

Also, do I need to include a journal entry in order for someone to view the latest SPOT location? For example, let's say I write a journal entry on 7/1, with a SPOT location included. I then go 5 days without writing a journal entry, but I am still sending SPOT signals every day. Will those locations appear if a reader looks at the map via the 7/1 entry? Or will every signal create a new journal entry? Or will the location not be put on the map until I create a new journal entry manually?

Looks like a great new feature! Just want to make sure I am using it properly.
p-fitz

Re: SPOT Questions

Postby postholer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:37 pm

p-fitz wrote:What is difference between entering the lat/long manually vs. having it sent straight to postholer? [via spot]

For a spot user, nothing really. With a spot, you can have multiple map markers for a given date. With the manually entered lat/lon for a journal entry you can have only one marker for a date.

While lots 'o folks use spot, most don't. To show their location for a specific entry they can enter a lat/lon using a GPS or visually extract a lat/lon from the map.

p-fitz wrote:Also, do I need to include a journal entry in order for someone to view the latest SPOT location?

You need at least one journal entry. Other than that, every spot location will appear on the map as you send them regardless of dates. Clicking the 'Latest' will always take you to the last spot sent.

If you have no delay for your spot display, the new spot will show on the map *seconds* after being sent from the trail.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby p-fitz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 am

Thank you postholer. That's the information I was looking for!
p-fitz

Postby ruffwork » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:35 am

Is there a way to delete spot entries once they are in? I did a test one and it's not really on the trail so I'd like to delete it.

Thanks for the cool feature!
The road goes ever on and on...
ruffwork

Re: Removing SPOTS

Postby postholer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:38 am

ruffwork wrote:Is there a way to delete spot entries once they are in?

Sorry, no way to remove spots. I did remove your one spot manually so you have a clean slate. Just this once! :)

That wouldn't be a bad feature though. Let me dwell on it.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Removing SPOTS

Postby p-fitz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 am

postholer wrote:That wouldn't be a bad feature though. Let me dwell on it.

I would also like to see that feature, for what it's worth.
p-fitz

Next

Return to Postholer Google Maps