Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Halfmiles PCT

Anything concerning the Postholer Google Maps. This may be feature requests, marker information updates or bug reports.

Moderator: postholer

Halfmiles PCT

Postby postholer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:28 pm

The same data Halfmile uses to create his excellent .pdf maps (http://pctmap.net) is now available at postholer Google maps. You can view it here:

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=13

As usual you can view the map in satellite, mytopo, etc. It also has mileages and elevations.

Tell Halfmile thanks when you see him!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby leaftye » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:14 pm

I love your maps, but I'm having trouble viewing them. It doesn't work in Firefox 3.5.5 or Opera 9.63. It does work in Internet Explorer 6.0.2900, albeit very slowly.

I'm fine using it in IE, but how can I make it faster? I noticed it is faster when I zoom in greatly, but it can still take a minute for the page to update after I pan. It's a bit faster in MyTopo view.

Do you have any tips? If it's fast on your machine, please let me know what software you're using.

Oh wait, I just checked and it's WAY faster in the Google Chrome browser.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Re: Map Browser

Postby postholer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:07 pm

leaftye wrote:Do you have any tips? If it's fast on your machine, please let me know what software you're using.

Primarily, I use FF 2 for the maps. It works in FF 2,3, IE 6,7,8 Opera 9,10 and later versions of Safari. It's a bit wonky in Opera.

It may not be working due to some type of filtering, proxy or browser app (such as Skype). I really can't tell you why it's not working for you in FF 3.5.

The best I can offer is to check filtering, clear your cache/cookies and reload the map page, ctrl-f5.

Thanks for the kind words!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Google Maps