Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Journals that used Spot

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

Journals that used Spot

Postby ncalcamper » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:59 am

Hi, I am trying to find journal examples that used Spot. I tried searching using site:postholer.com/journal/spot and other variations, but couldn't come up with anything. Can you give me some examples that I can look at? Or advise how to properly search if that's the problem. Thanks in advance.
ncalcamper

Re: Journals that used Spot

Postby postholer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:32 pm

ncalcamper wrote:Hi, I am trying to find journal examples that used Spot....Can you give me some examples that I can look at?

Here are examples from the big 3. Just click on the map link in the info box to see them all or click the last spot location for a zoomed in view of the last spot.

Clicking any of the icons on the map will call cause the journal entry for that spot date to appear in your browser entry. If there is no journal entry for that date the map will zoom into that spot location.

Pacific Crest Trail:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJourna ... ent_id=396

Continental Divide Trail:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJourna ... ent_id=721

Appalachian Trail:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJourna ... ent_id=458

If you're not using a SPOT you can still add a lat/lon in WGS84 decimal degrees to each days journal entry for this effect:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJourna ... ent_id=426

Hope that helps!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Doing Something Wrong

Postby ncalcamper » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Thank you so much for posting these, but I must be doing something wrong. I've gone to all three journals and every time I click on the last spot location, it goes to the same location no matter what journal date I navigate to. I see all the different spot spots on the trail map. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
ncalcamper

Re: Doing Something Wrong

Postby postholer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:06 pm

ncalcamper wrote:...every time I click on the last spot location, it goes to the same location no matter what journal date I navigate to....

Yes, LAST spot location is always the last time they pressed the OK button. It's so you don't have to wade through a sea of map icons trying to find their last location.

Now, if you want to find a specific date, then you have to wade through the icons.

There is no guarantee of a one to one relationship between journal entrys and a spot location. They may have a spot location for a specific date but no journal entry. The may have a journal entry but no spot for that date.

Hope that helps!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Yes - Makes Sense!

Postby ncalcamper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Got it. I was interested in the Spot Connect, but now that the Delorme version has been recalled, I've decided that I have better places to spend my money and brain cells! I'll stick with Postholer's lat/long mapping capabilities. Thanks again!
ncalcamper

Postby jalan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm

I always thought it would be cool if you could find all the journal entries for a given section or spot location. I magine a list of entries describing the same camp site or spring or big climb. You could then see how the area changed over time and various peoples interpretations of that area. Ideally you could also find other hikers hwo were in the area at the same time you were.
jalan

Return to Postholer Stew