Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Free digitized JMT topo maps

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

Free digitized JMT topo maps

Postby postholer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:27 pm

The postholer JMT Maps have been completely recreated from the ground up (literally) with digitized base maps. These maps have all the latest land cover (2006), hydrology, NED, etc, data. Complete with data book appendix.

These maps have land cover data that is 5 years old instead of 50. The units of measure are in feet or miles, no mix of SI data. The style and colors are uniform from start to finish. This is the same process used to create the PCT Pocket Maps.

These maps are of course free, for the community by the community. As always, a big thanks to Fishmonger for the trace!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby SunWalker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Scott, How would you feel about making these maps available as a geotif or similar geotagged image file? Preferably without the collar around them, that's what i find annoying about the USGS maps when trying to stick them all together.
SunWalker

Re: JMT GeoTif's

Postby postholer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:37 pm

They could easily be made into GeoTiff's, but I'm not sure what value that would have. What is it you're trying to achieve?

I ask only because I'm lazy and hate doing any extra work! :wink:

Would I include the elevation profiles at the bottom or would you consider that part of the collar?

FYI, the collars can be easily removed from any USGS map using freely available utilities. Of course those are scanned maps and not digitized base maps.

Details would be great!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby SunWalker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm trying to cut and paste all the map files together into one really large map file 9and then optimise it) so I can view it in things like Google Earth, which though it has great satellite views, doesn't have a great 'map' type view with really accurate contour lines and such.
SunWalker

Postby postholer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

SunWalker wrote:I'm trying to cut and paste all the map files together into one really large map file 9and then optimise it) so I can view it in things like Google Earth

With the process I use I can create one large single image given the upper-left lat/lon and the lower-right lat/lon. That of course negates any stitching together of individual images. It's exactly how I create the maps for the postholer map books, just the map image size is restricted by the paper size.

What are the lat/lon for the upper-left and lower-right of the map you would like to have?

I can also create individual tiles instead of one large image.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Stew