Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

PCT-L forum disappeared ?

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

PCT-L forum disappeared ?

Postby StuartMy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:41 am

I notice that the section of this forum showing the PCT-L messages has disappeared. If this is "policy" (rather than a temporary thing/glitch) - I found it a very useful section. I don't get on with the e-mail lists and find the "forum format" far easier to follow and browse. Thus, for me the PCT-L section here as very useful and a wealth of information. I would not subscribe to the list but found a lot of really useful stuff there (accessed here).
StuartMy

Re: PCT-L forum disappeared ?

Postby postholer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 am

StuartMy wrote:I notice that the section of this forum showing the PCT-L messages has disappeared..... I found it a very useful section. I don't get on with the e-mail lists and find the "forum format" far easier to follow and browse.

People like you and I viewed the PCT-L Forum as something useful.

Unfortunately, the pct-l powers that be viewed it as something akin to copyright infringement, as they've recently added a "no duplication" tag to all emails.

Postholer.com receives far, far more daily unique visitors than the pct-l has subscribers. The forum was an excellent way of keeping a larger PCT audience informed, while growing the pct-l itself. Obviously, keeping folks informed is not the primary concern of the pct-l.

I have no reservations about giving them exactly what they want.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby dadinpain » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:28 am

I came here today to check too. It's gone. I WAS looking at it and the old post for very useful information. hmmmm Thanks Mr Postholer for having it while you did. It was a big help for my up coming hike. I will just have to view the other sections and see how they sum up. Thanks
No one ever wakes up and says....."Hey, today Im going to be 100% disabled for life" Ya right. Think it can't happen to you?

" Im Dad.....Im in Pain.....and I want your VOTE "
Paid for by friends of DadInPain.
dadinpain

Postby StuartMy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 am

I just find the "forum format" far better than the e-mail list format. As with anything in life, some aspects will interest you, others wont. With a forum format you can ignore the thread titles that don't interest you and read those that do. With an e-mail list you are receiving e-mails on everything and end-up deleting things, etc. Similarly, any e-mail list/forum gets its trolls and the PCT-L seems to welcome them - and I would not be wanting to get messages from those trolls.

I suppose I think of forums as a resource for others and well as myself. Occasionally a topic arises I know a bit about and can contribute to and return the help. It seems a great shame when the contributions made by the members are restricted because of the attitude of those running the system. Personally I would not want to spend my time contributing to something that is not as open as it can be - distributing its knowledge as widely as possible.
StuartMy

Return to Postholer Stew