Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

How cold does it get....Hi-Res trail climate data

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

How cold does it get....Hi-Res trail climate data

Postby postholer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:09 pm

How often have you heard that? Or better yet, how many times have you asked it?

For instance, "How cold does it get in June in the sierra?"

Well, I can now now tell you unequivocally, the high/low ranges in June through trail sections G, H, I are: 28/81 25/66 and 28/65.

After much work, I'm releasing the initial results of the great trail climate endeavour. You can find it for your favorite trail here:

PCT Climate Data - CDT Climate Data - AT Climate Data

Lo/Hi : this is the minimum avg low temp and maximum avg high temp for any given month in that trail section.
Max Avg Precip : this is the maximum avg precip for any given month in that trail section. This is not snow.
Avg Mean Temp : the avg-mean temp for any given month in that trail section. (avg-mean? wtf?)

The data source has a 1km (!!!) resolution. What that means is I've got min/max/mean/precip data for every 0.6 miles of trail. Above, you are seeing it compiled into trail section chunks.

You should note that this does not cover 'Heat Waves' or 'Cold Spells' which can effect average temps by 10-15 degrees or more. If you spend any time on the trail you will most certainly encounter this. At least you now have an idea of where to start.

Anyways, lots still to do.

-postholer 8)
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Stew