Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Trail Planner Issues

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

Trail Planner Issues

Postby alborg2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:06 pm

First, let me say that I really like the trail planner idea.

But I'm finding some issues with the 'Hiking Style' slider. For example, if I select the CDT planner, and use the defaults of a start on the Mexico border and end point of Canada, and the default hiking style of Average (100 on the slider), it shows the first section of 84.8 miles will take 3.3 days with and the section miles per day of 26.0 miles. If I change the slider to a more relaxed pace of 132, it shows the same 84.8 miles will take 1.5 days with a section MPD of 162.6 miles! Change the slider to 140 and the Total Days goes negative (-11.4 days), and the section MPD goes to -7.4 days. There are multiple points on the slider that appear to have the issue, I've just listed a few as examples. I've also tried this with the Appalachian Trail and used both Edge, Chrome and Firefox, and all do the same.

I hope this is an easy fix as I really would like to use this in 2018. I'd also like to second the request to support a Southbound hike on the AT, since Flip-Flop hikes are becoming more popular.

Thanks.
alborg2

Re: Trail Planner Issues

Postby postholer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:24 pm

So few hikers go southbound, it will probably be some time before a southbound option exists.

I'd take a guess that you are on a mac or ios device? Apple is and always has been horrible at adhering to the W3C html specification. I know it works on linux/windows Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Edge.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Trail Planner Issues

Postby alborg2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Windows 10 Home on a desktop and Windows 10 Pro on a laptop. I've attached 3 images, one each from Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Edge is the only one where I can see the numeric value for the slider, but all 3 show the same odd results at different points along the slider for Hiking Style.

-alborg
Attachments
Windows10Firefox.jpg
Windows 10 Firefox
Windows10Firefox.jpg (203.37 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Windows10Edge.jpg
Windows 10 Edge
Windows10Edge.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Windows10Chrome.jpg
Windows 10 Chrome
Windows10Chrome.jpg (204.13 KiB) Viewed 262 times
alborg2