Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Poll: Postholer Mailing List?

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

Should Postholer.Com start a mailing list?

Yes, most definitely!
88%
No, the PCT-L down time is ok.
13%

Total votes : 8

Postby postholer » Wed May 07, 2008 7:49 am

How many of you would like to see a mailing list here at postholer?

I've intentionally avoided having one as not to step on the PCT-L toes. It's a fantastic list with a great history.

The recent problems with the PCT-L of downtime and re-registration has become annoying for all of us. So the question:

Should Postholer.Com start a mailing list?
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Ellie » Wed May 07, 2008 11:04 am

Just my two cents...

I'm not technically savvy, so I may be missing something, but the PCT-L list is a little aggravating b/c many people just reply, and it seems I spend a LOT of time just scrolling through duplication of previous posts. I also rather randomly receive the list.

On a side note, what are the advantages of the PCT-L list to forums, other than being able to read it on my PDA via e-mail without having to log in to a forum? For me the postholer forums are much easier to read and a better way to communicate information. They are pretty slow right now, but with the increase in posters this year, I imagine it is only a matter of time before the traffic in the forums increases also.

I much prefer forums to the PCT-L list. My opinion is that another list is not needed, most of those on the PCT-L list would probably just remain on the one list, postholer forums are much more convenient, and in time the forum traffic will increase. I try to stay away from lists b/c they just clog up my e-mail.
Ellie

Postby treeWoof » Thu May 08, 2008 10:05 am

Ellie wrote:I much prefer forums to the PCT-L list. My opinion is that another list is not needed, most of those on the PCT-L list would probably just remain on the one list, postholer forums are much more convenient, and in time the forum traffic will increase. I try to stay away from lists b/c they just clog up my e-mail.

I agree with your assessment. I prefer the forum format as well. I think the intention is to have a reliable alternative for those that prefer the mailing list format.

Some folks are so set in their ways that if the list disappeared, they wouldn't bother seeking an alternative method to participate in the community.
treeWoof

Postby p-fitz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:14 pm

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but can someone clarify what the "PCT-L" is, and how you sign up for it?
p-fitz

Re: PCT-L

Postby postholer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:14 pm

The PCT-L is a mailing list for all things PCT. For more info and to sign up go to:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby p-fitz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:20 am

Thank you! I wish I knew about the PCT-L before. IMO, the postholer forums are much easier to navigate. I really don't like the setup of the PCT-L. Why don't people just post their messages here? So much cleaner and easier.
p-fitz

Return to Postholer Stew