Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

What to do with the full memory card

Use this forum for anything related to the site that may not fit in the Journal, Maps, etc., forum.

Moderator: postholer

What to do with the full memory card

Postby travlinman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm

I thought I would throw this out to the hiker community. What is everyone doing with their photos one the memory card is full. I am not carrying a phone or other electronics, just a small digital camera. What are my options?

Thanks
travlinman

Re: What to do with the full memory card

Postby stillroaming » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 pm

travlinman wrote:What is everyone doing with their photos one the memory card is full.

You need to save it to long term storage. Mail it home and have someone move it to a hard drive. Or you can burn it to a CD/DVD when in town. You can also keep a portable CD burner in your drift-box.

Memory cards are getting cheaper every minute. Be sure to spread your photos out across several cards intead of all on one high capacity card in the event disaster strikes. You don't want to lose all of your photos.

-stillroaming
stillroaming

Postby travlinman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Ok, so burning to a CD in town sounds good. How do I pull that off?
travlinman

How to send home photos

Postby Day-late » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Most drug stores and some grocery marts have a Kiosk (or service) where you put in your memory card and they give you a CD with all your pictures on it. I then mail this CD home. When I get told the pictures made it there by my support person I delete the pictures on my memory card. This is usually under $5 most places.

Worked well for me on the AT and I will be doing the same on the PCT this year.
Day-Late
Day-late

Postby travlinman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Day-Late

Thanks for the reply, that sounds like the deal for me. When you go the the drug type store to have the CD burned does the store provide the CD or do you keep them in your bounce box? How large of a memory card can you have put onto one CD? Thanks for taking the time to answer my posts. I know this is kindergarden tech for most folks, I just spend most of my time climbing and hiking. Plus this will be my first thru hike.

TM
travlinman

Postby Day-late » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 pm

They provide the CD. They will burn multiple CD's if it is necessary. It usually takes about 10 minutes to go thru the process. If I am using a drug store I just buy a CD mailer at the same time - as they usually have those in the school supplies section.

Hope to see you out there!
Day-Late
Day-late

Return to Postholer Stew