Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Blisters

If you have any hiking items for sale or something you'd just like to give away, you can let folks know here. It beats taking up space in your closet!

Blisters

Postby home2020 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:04 am

I have been reading Journals and have seen that quite a few hikers suffer from blisters. When my son and I hiked the JMT SB, I also suffered the worse blisters I had ever seen. By the time I got to VMR they were miserable and had to wait there while my wife drove from Davis with Med supplies and different Boots. When I started planning my PCT section hike of 2009 from Donner to Cascade Locks I was really worried about Blisters. I found a product that looked like it might help, called Tuf-Foot http://www.tuffoot.com/about/humans.htm . This stuff stinks and turns your feet orange but it sure worked for me. It was originally developed to toughen dog’s paws and the company has developed a human formula. I started applying it regularly about 3 months prior to my hike and than two weeks before the hike I literally soaked my feet in it daily. I did not have a single blister during the trip. Saying all of that I should point out that my boot/shoe and sock choices have changed considerably since that JMT hike. You may want to try this if you are susceptible to blisters I will definitely use it prior to my planned PCT through in 2014.
home2020

Postby leaftye » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 pm

You can prevent most, if not all, blisters by training before your hike. Go on fast long walks. Emphasis on fast because that will heat up your feet and develop callouses.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Postby leaftye » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:04 pm

That said, I ordered Tuf Foot and will give it a shot. Sadly, my feet get softer than everything else, so this can be useful in keeping my feet tough whenever I take more than a week off from doing long walks. I'll check if it helps with chafing too.

Walking a lot is still by far the best way though. Not only does it toughen the feet, but it strengthens the muscles, joints and improves biomechanics. Walking a lot before a through hike will make the first few weeks much easier. I find it unfortunate that so many hikers don't prepare well enough, and their first few weeks are spent in agony. It's not wonder that they can't appreciate southern California...they're in too much pain!
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Postby Trail Angel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:04 pm

I just learned about toe socks...haven't had a blister since! I get blisters between my toes and this has cleared up the problem 100%.
You can get them in wicking, athletic socks.
Trail Angel

Return to FOR SALE - Gear, Services, Freebies, etc.