Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

PCT Hiking app for Android - PCTHYOH

"Mobi" is designed for those folks who will be updating their journals from the trail. It's also a great place to get 7-day plain text weather forecasts. Tell us how it's working for you.

PCT Hiking app for Android - PCTHYOH

Postby ruffwork » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:08 am

OK, tooting my own horn here. I've done an app several people are using called PCTHYOH (200+ active users, actually). It's for Android now (on the Android Market) but next year I expect to have an iPhone version of it. I did the app for my own hiking use and wanted to share it with the community. It's free and always will be: if you like it contribute to PCTA or ADZ or some other good PCT cause (e.g., do some trail maintenance).

It's a simple app that:
1) gives some advice on how to save battery power
2) collects all the important links for on trail use (like the water report)
3) uses the GPS to make things like the NOAA point cast cool (point cast of your current location)
4) makes posting to your postholer journal a snap using a form and auto filling lots of it (gps location, start location, etc).

It even got a good review in Backpacker Mag.

Download it here. Just email me and I'll fix any bugs or consider adding features.

Enjoy and HYOH,

ruffwork
Last edited by ruffwork on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The road goes ever on and on...
ruffwork

looking forward to an iPhone/Touch version

Postby wanderingtheworld » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Looking forward to the iPhone version so I can use it on my Touch for my hike next year. Thanks for all your hard work, especially jumping the hoops over at Apple.
wanderingtheworld

Postby chaseat99 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Great application glad I did not miss this one. It is so much easier than filling out those email templates. After reading above I discoverd it also fills in my gps location. Stupid me I almost missed the best part
Thanks again for making the easiest journal site even easier. Even if you do not journal on postholer this app is a must have.
chaseat99

Return to Postholer Mobile