Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

PCT Hiking app for iPhone/iPod Touch - PCTHYOH

"Mobi" is designed for those folks who will be updating their journals from the trail. It's also a great place to get 7-day plain text weather forecasts. Tell us how it's working for you.

PCT Hiking app for iPhone/iPod Touch - PCTHYOH

Postby ruffwork » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:44 am

OK, got this ported over to the Apple platform now
(sorry I missed the 2011 hiking season ;-).

I added several new features so it does more then the Android version.
Never fear, I'll be updating the Android one to match soon.

It's a simple app that:
1) gives some advice on how to save battery power
2) collects all the important links for on trail use (like the water report)
3) uses the GPS to make things like the NOAA point cast cool (point cast of your current location)
4) makes posting to your postholer journal a snap using a form and auto filling lots of it (gps location, start location, etc).
5) caches data pages locally so you can view them without a network connection (e.g., water report)
6) shows GPS/compass data textually so you can use them with printed maps for navigation

It's free and always will be: if you like it contribute to PCTA or ADZ or some other good PCT cause (e.g., do some trail maintenance or some trail magic).

Download it from the Apple iTunes App Stoe. Just email me and I'll fix any bugs or consider adding features.

Enjoy and HYOH,

ruffwork
The road goes ever on and on...
ruffwork

Problems with images

Postby shelbel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi Ruffwork. I am trying to use your great PCTHYOH app but I am having lots of trouble with my photos not getting small enough. When I try to send an image I get a message asking me how big to make the pic. I always pick the smallest one, which is way below what Postholer lists as the maximum limit. Yet, the photo won't post. BYB I am using an iPhone 4S. I don't know where the problem is but I can't seem to fix it. Help! Also, I am really clueless about this new phone.....
shelbel

Re: Problems with images

Postby postholer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Make sure your image is .jpg

It must be that format and have that file extension.

-postholer

shelbel wrote:Hi Ruffwork. I am trying to use your great PCTHYOH app but I am having lots of trouble with my photos not getting small enough. When I try to send an image I get a message asking me how big to make the pic. I always pick the smallest one, which is way below what Postholer lists as the maximum limit. Yet, the photo won't post. BYB I am using an iPhone 4S. I don't know where the problem is but I can't seem to fix it. Help! Also, I am really clueless about this new phone.....
postholer
Site Admin

Pictures not loading

Postby Lone Wolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Ruffwork nice work on the app. I really like the email update for my journal. Only problem is that the pictures are not coming thru to the journal. I choose a picture from my photo stream, (using iPhone 4), that I am sucessful in loading to the journal thru my normal email, but it won't work with the app. Any thoughts on what is going on? Really want ot use your app on the trail this year.
John Poppe
Seattle WA
Lone Wolf

Re: PCT Hiking app for iPhone/iPod Touch - PCTHYOH

Postby Mambo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:59 am

Is this app not available anymore I look for it on the app store but nothing. I used it for the entire AT and would love to use it for the PCT. Can anyone help with this please? Thanks
Mambo

Postby postholer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:15 am

Mambo wrote:Is this app not available anymore I look for it on the app store but nothing. I used it for the entire AT and would love to use it for the PCT. Can anyone help with this please? Thanks

Unfortunately, the creator of this app passed away a couple years ago. There are has been no activity with it since. :(

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Mambo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:58 am

postholer wrote:Unfortunately, the creator of this app passed away a couple years ago. There are has been no activity with it since. :(

Sorry to hear the news, the hiking community has lost a brilliant mind. The PCTHYOH app was an amazing tool for hikers and will be missed. Thanks for getting back to me

Mambo
Mambo

Postby Mambo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:50 am

Hey Posthole,

My brother is a apple app developer (woowoogames.com or techdrivethru.com) think you would be interested in getting the app up and running again?
Mambo

Postby postholer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Mambo wrote: think you would be interested in getting the app up and running again?

Other than providing information to Ruffwork on occasion, I have no connection to the app. Its future is completely out of my hands.

Apologies for not being of more help! :D

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Mobile