Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Postholer for Mobile Devices

"Mobi" is designed for those folks who will be updating their journals from the trail. It's also a great place to get 7-day plain text weather forecasts. Tell us how it's working for you.

Postholer for Mobile Devices

Postby postholer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

You can now easily manage your journal, search/view other journals and get instant weather from your internet enabled cell phone or smart phone.

http://postholer.com/mobi/index.php

This page was specifically designed for small screen 'smart' devices.

Journals:
+ Manage Your Journal
+ Add/Edit Entrys
+ Search Journals
+ View Someone Else's

Weather:
+ For predefined points along the PCT
+ For predefined points along the CDT
+ For predefined points along the AT
+ OR enter a lat/lon and get weather for anywhere in the U.S.

Check it out from your browser. Resize your browser window to mimick the screen of a smart phone. Or just try it from your internet enabled phone!

-postholer 8)
postholer
Site Admin

Postby brianle » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Looks great at brief glance at least. Access to guestbook?
brianle

Postby brianle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:04 am

The weather report is BRILLIANT --- exactly what I want, pre-defined for points along the PCT, with an extended forecast in text only. Excellent.

In viewing journal entries, it would be nice to have the option (link(s)) to see associated photos --- they don't take all that long to download, but I do like having them left off by default.

Some navigation terms aren't super intuitive to me, at least. "search" didn't suggest to me a search of journals. I'm still getting 'view journal' and 'my journal' confused as to which does what. No big deal, pretty quick to get used to.

Per previous, a connection with the guestbook would be good in the mobile version.

BTW, an email address to post forum suggestions might be handy, to include metalanguage to specify the forum topic and whether the person wants an email reply (as long as I'm dreaming up more work for you). Not any kind of priority; when I have both the time and power budget, it's not that big a hassle to access this via the non-mobile UI.

Thanks for all of this --- looks good.

Brian Lewis
brianle

Mobile Features

Postby postholer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:14 am

brianle wrote:...it would be nice to have the option (link(s)) to see associated photos

On a small device such as a cell phone with a screen width of 176px, photos are just too much, coupled with slow/poor cell network. Living in the sticks I have this testing feature available to me.

brianle wrote:...navigation terms aren't super intuitive to me, at least. "search" didn't suggest to me a search of journals.

Again, on a small screen, if I use long descriptions, the line will wrap and it looks really bad. I kept them short with obvious drawbacks

brianle wrote:a connection with the guestbook would be good in the mobile version

I will definitely work on this

brianle wrote:BTW, an email address to post forum suggestions might be handy, to include metalanguage to specify the forum topic.....

Now you're just dreamin' buddy! :lol:

Thanks for all of your suggestions on this project, you were the driving force behind it!!!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby brianle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:56 pm

One more suggestion for the mobile version of the site --- in editing a journal entry, I found the text box for the main body text to be a lot smaller than I'd like ... it required a lot of scrolling. Optimal IMO would be for this to be as close as possible to the width of the screen, and in general to fill most of the screen real estate when it's the active control.

Oh, also, would be nice if the mobile site had a direct link to jump to view the same entry from the non-mobile site, so I can see how pictures look.

Hmm, and is the mobile version doing the same process of bookmarking where I was viewing? I'm not positive, but I thought just now that it started me at my first entry multiple times when I viewed my journal.

As always ---- thanks.
brianle

Mobile changes

Postby postholer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:57 pm

brianle wrote:I found the text box for the main body text to be a lot smaller than I'd like ... it required a lot of scrolling. Optimal IMO would be for this to be as close as possible to the width of the screen, and in general to fill most of the screen real estate when it's the active control.

On my browser it was filling the whole width. However, I made a change so hopefully it will appear wider on yours (and others) as well. Also, I've increased the vertically area as well. That was a good idea!

brianle wrote:Oh, also, would be nice if the mobile site had a direct link to jump to view the same entry from the non-mobile site

Done, I added a 'Non-Mobile View' link at the end of the entry text

brianle wrote:is the mobile version doing the same process of bookmarking where I was viewing?

Yes, it's identical. Bookmarks do not work on your journal when you're logged in. When logged in, it will always start you at the first entry. When you log out, they'll work as expected.

Thanks for the suggestions!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Mobile Guestbook

Postby postholer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 pm

The guestbook link has been added to mobile journals.

You can only view guestbook entrys. You cannot post author comments or delete entrys from the mobile page, you have to go to your journal on the 'non mobile' page to do that. It's just way too much stuff to cram into a tiny screen.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Mobile