Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

line breaks and email date override

"Mobi" is designed for those folks who will be updating their journals from the trail. It's also a great place to get 7-day plain text weather forecasts. Tell us how it's working for you.

line breaks and email date override

Postby brianle » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Forgive me in advance for aggregating a couple of entries --- the journal interface is relatively slow for me, and I'm on the trail ... (sound of violins in background playing something sad).

When I create my entry on my device using MS Word, things look fine. When I past the prepared text into an email message it looks fine. When I view the resulting journal entries --- via my small screen at least --- the line breaks seem to show up arbitrarily (and too often). Any speculation on this, and more to the point, what I might do about it? I have no idea if the problem is on my end or on yours.

Also, I once again forgot to change the date from the email template I've been using and emailed in an entry that blew away a previous one. This is a bigger hassle now that I'm on the trail. Can you at least provide an option (or just default) to not delete a previous entry via an email entry, but instead (a) change the date to one greater than the last given date or make it todays date (with the latter the default if there's no conflict) and/or (b) send an automated error email to the sender, informing them of whatever was done (date changed or simply the email entry rejected) ? I really really dislike the idea of any of my entries being deleted due to a hasty blunder on my part.

Also, while I'm asking things :-) ... is there any way for me to send you stuff like this without my having to go through the forum interface? Perhaps you could send me an email address I could send in suggestions/feedback to? I think my trail time in near future is going to be "a lot more trail" and therefore "a lot less internet access".

TIA !

Brian Lewis
brianle

Re: line breaks and email date override

Postby postholer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm

brianle wrote:... the line breaks seem to show up arbitrarily (and too often). Any speculation on this, and more to the point, what I might do about it?

That has to do with 'word-wrapping' on your end. Some mailers like gmail add new-line characters. It's might also be your email program. You may be able to change this behaviour via your configurations.

brianle wrote:Also, I once again forgot to change the date... to not delete a previous entry via an email entry... (a) change the date to one greater than the last given date...etc.

If you delete an entry, it's just a matter of resending the email entry you deleted. It's not like you have to retype the entry. Be sure to change dates on the offending email. This way, I don't have to try and 'guess' what date you intended. Overwriting will always be the default behaviour, as this is a means to delete an entry you may decide you don't want.

brianle wrote:...is there any way for me to send you stuff like this without my having to go through the forum interface?

Yes, you can email me at public (at) posholer.com

I'll repost any of your concerns as others might benefit.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Mobile