Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Mobile Maps

"Mobi" is designed for those folks who will be updating their journals from the trail. It's also a great place to get 7-day plain text weather forecasts. Tell us how it's working for you.

Mobile Maps

Postby chaseat99 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:02 am

The PCT and AT interactive journal maps are great. I wish I could view them with my smart phone with my gps location indicated too. LOL I know thats a lot to ask but I like gadgets.
I have been trying to find a simpler way to get the gps location info into my daily journal email without having to hand type it in. My gps program will send an sms text message with my location info. But with Postholer we are only alowed one journal update per day...
I enjoy using Google Maps with my phones gps. I also have a program called GPS Tuner that is cheap and works well with online maps or maps that I have saved for use when there is no cell service. It would be nice if I could save the Postholer maps with trail info.

Support for small videos (mp4) in email just like the photo jpg support would be nice.
Just kicking out some thoughts. Thanks for your efforts. I hope I can hit the trail in a few weeks and play around with some of this stuff and most of all quit work for good. Yea! :D

Perhaps phones and browsers will continue to improve giving us equal access to the internets resources that we get on our PC's at home.
ATT Tilt Windows Mobile 6 Opera browser

thanks chase :D
chaseat99

New Simple Mobile Map

Postby postholer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:37 pm

A simple Google Map has been added to Postholer Mobile. Enter a lat/lon, zoom, map type and get a map that fits your mobile devices screen.

http://postholer.com/mobi/map.php

This map has no trail trace on it....at this time. You can view it with all different map types, such as, terrain, road map, satellite, etc.

You may find this especially handy in town stops when looking for a specific location.

This is a bare bones map and I'll be adding features to it to make it more usable.

As always, thanks for the suggestions!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

re simple map

Postby chaseat99 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:01 am

The simple map shows up well on my cell phone. If you can get the trail track on their it will be really awesome.
It might be nice if I could touch the map with my curser and recieve my gps coordinates from the location touched. Those without gps could use this to get their coordinates for posting. Or even better If I could while editing a journal entry touch on a map and thereby set my location in that journal entry.
I have no idea how hard or how simple it is to make this happen. "But i have a mind full of junk" quoting Fred Sanford

chase

ps smart phone users
Google maps for mobile is a feature rich application thats free. Search for and recieve directions, works with your gps or cell location, search for gas prices, motels etc.
chaseat99

Re: Mobile Map

Postby postholer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:47 pm

...while editing a journal entry touch on a map and thereby set my location in that journal entry.

You can! From the journal entry page, non-mobile version, next to the 'latitude' field click on the link OR Click on Map. Then just drag the marker around on the map that best describes the entry.

The way the Google mobile maps work is wildly different than the normal Google maps. Mobile users have the major constraint of bandwidth to deal with. Sending lots of data is difficult. Also, regular google maps is very JavaScript intensive, Mobile maps require no JavaScript at all. Retrieving a lat/lon pair from regular google maps is a no-brainer. It's quite another story from the static mobile maps.....I'll be working on that!

with Postholer we are only allowed one journal update per day...

You are allowed 1 journal entry per day. You can update it as many times as you like. If you are emailing entrys and making additions, changes to your entry througout the day, just alter the email and resend it. It will overwrite the existing entry for that date.

For ease of use, you may want to keep a 'template' handy, a text file with your journal code and tags already in it. Cut and paste it and fill in all the stuff. It sure beats retyping everything.

It would be nice if I could save the Postholer maps with trail info

The mobile maps are just .gif images, you could just save these to your device with a descriptive name as a simple solution.

Again, thanks Chase for your input!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Maps

Postby LarryBoy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Tried the link but it says it's using the wrong goggle API. Says it's needs V2 vs V1. Is this a Postholer.com issue to fix?
LarryBoy

Re: Mobile Maps

Postby postholer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:15 pm

LarryBoy wrote:Tried the link but it says it's using the wrong goggle API. Says it's needs V2 vs V1. Is this a Postholer.com issue to fix?

That feature went quietly away. You can see the original post was from 2008 and the discussion still exists in the forum. I don't think there will be a revival of it.

Thanks for the interest!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Postholer Mobile