Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

mobile picture uploads

"Mobi" is designed for those folks who will be updating their journals from the trail. It's also a great place to get 7-day plain text weather forecasts. Tell us how it's working for you.

mobile picture uploads

Postby chaseat99 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:02 am

I have really enjoyed using my smart phone to update my journal on my recent test hikes. I am not much of a journal-er and like things very simple and basic. I would like to be able to add additional pictures via email. I can add pictures 2 - 5 via my phone web browser but its kind of a tedious process thats best done from the motel room instead of stopping on a windy mountain top where I happen to have service. When service is poor it often times out and asks me to login again. I like the email update because when I do not have service in camp I can type up an email to be sent during the next day and it will be sent automatically (if I turn on the phone). Is it possible to add another tag something like

my journal code {12345}
image # 2 {caption}

so that I can add additional pictures via separate emails.

Thanks
chase
chaseat99

EMail Picture Uploads

Postby postholer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:48 pm

The concept from the beginning was to give folks a means to update their journal from anywhere by as many different devices as possible via email; one journal entry and one photo per day. Simple!

All the functionality you have accessing your journal from your web browser could most certainly be duplicated in the email feature at great effort and complexity.

Creating the means to add a second photo is simple enough. Adding a 5th photo, etc and trying to manage them by email becomes a major, complex task with a user process that will alienate folks. That is not the road we have any desire to go down as it was never the intent.

So for now we ask you understand the limitations. There's a reason you can update your journal by email with detailed entry's and photos only at postholer.com

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Thanks for your understanding!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby chaseat99 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks Postholer,

I expect you have already thought of most of the stuff that crosses my mind. Its nice to have this forum so I can through it out there for evaluation. I could tell you all about component level repair of transistorized equipment and almost nothing about computer programing.

chase :D
chaseat99

attached photos does not seem to show

Postby Julianne » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi, Yellowstone here.
I have a Droid. I tried attaching a photo, sending with an update to my journal www.postholer.com/julianne . The photo was 1mb (according to info on attachment). it took forever to send (overnight), the update itself was very short, and did finally show up on Postholer this morning, however, no photo.
Any thoughts? do i need to make the photo smaller somehow (took the photo with my Droid-5mp camera).
I sent thru Google mail.
Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
Yellowstone (Julianne)
Julianne

Postby Miner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:31 pm

The rules on photos are if they are larger then 2000x1500, they may not show up. They must be *.jpg. I've sometimes gotten larger photos to post, but often they just don't show up just as if I never attached it. This may or may not be your trouble.
Miner

you are right

Postby Julianne » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Miner, You are right... the phone photo was 2592x1936
I don't know how to make the photo smaller on the Droid. I can change my view of the photo to smaller, but it does not change the size of the photo being sent. Dang. Does anyone out there know of a way to make photos smaller on a Droid?
Many thanks.
And thank you, Miner, at least now I know what the problem is.
Yellowstone
Julianne

Postby leaftye » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:42 pm

It doesn't help, but the photos I've uploaded to my journal in the last few days are all 2848x2136.
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Re: you are right

Postby postholer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:12 pm

All photos are reduced to a height or width not exceeding 700.

Uploading huge, enormous photos is a waste of resources. For example, uploading a 3 MB photo will get reduced to around 125K.

Julianne wrote:I don't know how to make the photo smaller on the Droid.

A number of different free applications are available for the droid to edit and resize images.

the photos I've uploaded to my journal in the last few days are all 2848x2136.

Image size is the final determining factor. Image size is a combination of resolution and color depth. A 16 bit color photo will be smaller than a 24 bit photo at the same resolution.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby leaftye » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm

You mean image file size? That's what I was thinking. Anyway, I got 24 bit color depth. Images are usually around 3 MB.

Yeah, I know it's wasteful. I'm still getting this computer back up to speed. One program I really love for batch editing, you know, like making a bunch of big pictures into small pictures, is XnView. I think it's pretty simple to use, but it's rather powerful, and quite fast. And free, did I mention that it's FREE? Anyway, I've been using it to convert all my scanned textbooks into smaller very readable pdf books. The only bad thing about it is that some French guy made it. ;)
Sir Mix-a-lot
www.eugeneleafty.com
leaftye

Postby tbrann » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 am

Julianne wrote:Miner, You are right... the phone photo was 2592x1936
I don't know how to make the photo smaller on the Droid. I can change my view of the photo to smaller, but it does not change the size of the photo being sent. Dang. Does anyone out there know of a way to make photos smaller on a Droid?
Many thanks.
Yellowstone

I've had a similar problem, but I just discovered :There is a setting you can change on the Droid Camera. Your Droid by default takes 5 Megapixel photos.
You can change the setting to 3 Megapixel photos, and theoretically, that should be small enough. I will test it out myself and see if it works as soon as I get the chance.

I am new to the Droid as well.
tbrann

still having trouble sending photos

Postby Julianne » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Yellowstone here.
I've been able to dowsize the photos on my Droid to 175 kb, 736 x 560
I've tried attaching it to an email and I've clicked on the photo and hit Share. The email is presently in my outbox, has been there saying 'sending' for 4 hours.
It's not going anywhere, The phone is in range of wireless and the wireless network is clhecked.
Any thoughts? (The cell reception here is spotty, though the wireless is fine.)
Thanks. I really want to be able to send photos from my Droid to my journal on postholer. I'm able to do it with no problem from my computer, but I won't have that on the trail! :?
Julianne

tech support and Droid

Postby Julianne » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Well, the photo I tried to send worked all night, so this morning I called tech support for Motorola. The person had me re program the phone, I tried again, and it worked. I have poor cell service here at the house, so it was touch and go for a bit. I stood out on the deck in 40 degree weather, barefoot, holding the phone above my head, hoping it would connect. Whew, it did.
So, I'll test again, but as of now things seem good.
Thanks for all your help in trying to figure out the email photo/journal thing.
Now, can you please teach me how to type with my thumbs on those insanely tiny keys???? :D
Julianne

Postby tbrann » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:05 pm

tbrann wrote:
Julianne wrote:Miner, You are right... the phone photo was 2592x1936
Many thanks.
Yellowstone

I've had a similar problem, but I just discovered :There is a setting you can change on the Droid Camera. Your Droid by default takes 5 Megapixel photos.
You can change the setting to 3 Megapixel photos, and theoretically, that should be small enough. I will test it out myself and see if it works as soon as I get the chance.

I am new to the Droid as well.

OK, I just tried again, using a picture taken using the 3MB setting on the Droid camera. My message appeared in my journal right away, but the photo did not.

It is a jpg, 664 KB. Resolution 854 x640. Why didn't it work?

Or do I need to wait a day for the photo to come up?
tbrann

Re: mobile picture uploads

Postby chaseat99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:00 am

Lots of smart phones have two cameras. One trick I have used is to use the smaller camera which is intended for self portraits, to snap a picture just for uploading. By turning my phone backwards use the smaller self camera. Its a little awkward to take a picture this way without a viewfinder. This leaves the main camera at high resolution to take pictures for use later at home.
Check out the PCTHYOH application. It make posting your journal so much easier.

chase AT99, 06, 12
chaseat99

Return to Postholer Mobile