Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

The Donald (PCT 2012) - Update

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

The Donald (PCT 2012) - Update

Postby Anders » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 pm

PCT hikers from 2012 may remember The Donald aka Donald Golob, a PCT thru hiker from Lantzville on Vancouver Island who is in his 50s. He did the whole trail in four months, give or take a day or two. Donald is seriously ill, and currently in Vancouver General Hospital. He had major abdominal surgery a week ago, and will be in hospital for another week or more.

For background, Donald had a cancerous kidney removed in 2006 or so, and a year or two later had further surgery to remove some more. Last October they found that the cancer had spread, and so he had further surgery last week, to remove all that they could. They finally finished everything and got him sewn up this morning.

I visited Donald on Monday evening, and he was pretty woozy with painkillers and antibiotics, but at times showed flashes of his usual witty self. He wasn't able to talk a lot, but apart from his family and surgery did mention the PCT.

Perhaps those of you who met Donald could pass this news on to others who might want to know - I don't have access to his e-mail directory. Donald doesn't and probably won't have access to e-mail or telephone for a week or more, until he gets out of hospital and goes home, although even then he may not have much energy for communication for a while. I'll try to send something directly if I get a chance.

In the meantime, I'll probably see Donald every few days while he's in hospital, and can pass on messages to him. I'm at aiourom(at)telus.net or (604) 228-1798. If/when he or his wife Susan are ready for direct communications, I'll post the contact information here. Also, I'll do my best to post updates, and reply to messages.

Donald is in room 8320 at VGH - 899 W 12th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. Canada V5Z 1M9 He seems likely to be there through this weekend, anyway. Anything you send should have his name on it.

Don't forget to include both your real and your trail name with anything you send, so it's a bit less confusing. And maybe a return address.

(I know Donald through work, but do some mountaineering, climbing and backcountry skiing. I visited with him and Restop in Cascade Locks, and went with his wife Susan and one of his sons to meet him at Manning Park.)
Anders

Re: The Donald (PCT 2012) - Update

Postby Big Jerr » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 am

I hiked with "the Donald" going into agua dolce ,we were all camped at the KOA the night before A.D.,just a wonderful energetic man loaded with personality...funny thing is we ran into him and his small group again, hitch hiking back to Sonora pass from Bridgeport , we were on family vacation when me and my son spotted him and gave them a ride back to Sonora pass . He's the type you never forget and always brings a smile!
We are saddened to here that he's been dealing with health issues , and our prayers are on Donald and his family as they Go though this tough time , The Donald is courageous and well take this on and overcome like another day on the trail..
Jerry
" JERRMATT " Those two are at it again !!
Big Jerr

Postby Anders » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Just back from a visit with Donald. He has his ups and downs, but seems slowly to be recovering from the surgery. They say he'll be in hospital for at least another week - no change in the room/ward. I've passed on the good wishes of those who've written, either here or on the PCT 2012 Facebook page. Thanks!
Anders

Postby Anders » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:41 pm

After nearly a month, The Donald was released from hospital on March 26th, and is now recovering at home, near Nanaimo. Although he tires easily, he's also occasionally online, for those wanting to send him a message.
Anders

Postby Anders » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm sorry to report that Donald died on October 24th, in Nanaimo. See http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nsnews ... =176605859
Anders

Return to Pacific Crest Trail