Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Lift to harts pass ?

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Lift to harts pass ?

Postby golightly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi
I am finally arriving in Vancouver 21st July
22nd I will get Amtrak to Mt Vernon and bus to concrete (?)
and then start hitching to Harts Pass.
Does this sound like a reasonable plan ?
Is there any chance of getting a lift ?
many thanks
Dave
golightly

Re: Lift to harts pass ?

Postby LaGrangePoints5 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:02 am

Yes, that is reasonable. From the Mt. Vernon bus station, you can easily get a Skagit transit bus to Concrete. There are stores and slowing traffic just before the main turn into Concrete (which you cannot miss!)/ Hitching from there to the turn off over Washington Pass and down to Mazama should be not a problem. It''s a little less than a mile from the turnoff to Mazama and the Mazama store, but you should be able to walk or get a ride. Then from Mazama up to Harts Pass you just have to catch the right person. There are a number of people every day who drive up to Hart's Pass just for the views.

When you get up the top of the road to Hart's Pass, a sign has you turn left to the PCT. IGNORE THAT SIGN. Harts Pass is actually 50 yards straight ahead. I made the mistake of following the sign and hiked an extra 2 miles I didn't need to hike.

I'd take you myself (I live near Mt. Vernon), but I will be in California in the Trinity Alps hiking next week. Good luck!!

Steve
LaGrangePoints5

Return to Pacific Crest Trail