Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Start date - Kennedy Meadows

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Start date - Kennedy Meadows

Postby Button » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Hello - just after some advice from hikers of the PCT...

If I was interested in doing a partial PCT hike from Kennedy Meadows to Manning Park, would a start date of June 17th (or thereabouts) be too late to make it north?
Do most hikers hit this area at an earlier time?

Thanks in advance :-)
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-David Henry Thoreau
Button

Re: Start date - Kennedy Meadows

Postby Warnervale » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:23 am

I will be on the PCT in 2016. By my schedule you will definitely strike some of the 'herd' from kick off. The advantage of starting at KM is no risk of being help up if the snow hangs around longer than expected, unlike a thru hiker from camp. Most of the trail journals i've read put people coming through from 20th May to 10th July. May conditions would slow you at the start, July conditions would slow you down in washington and you may risk getting done by the first big snow before you get to Manning park. All going to plan, i will be heading through around June 10th.

In short answer to your question, no, i don't think June 17th is too late.

I'm from the land down under though, so this is all based on my planning from PCT resources and trail journals. It will be my first US through hike.
Warnervale

Return to Pacific Crest Trail