Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Kennedy Meadows to Campo in winter?

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Kennedy Meadows to Campo in winter?

Postby jfulgham » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Hello.
I am interested in making a southbound hike in January and February. I am not familiar with weather and elevation yet on the southern portion of the PCT, but I would like to go from Kennedy meadows to Campo. Is this doable/safe in the winter?

If not, any information would be appreciated. Unfortunately, winter is my free time from work.

Thank you,

Jake
jfulgham

Re: Kennedy Meadows to Campo in winter?

Postby postholer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:29 am

Is it doable? Yes.

KM to Campo is 700 miles. Hundreds of miles would be in winter time snow conditions. KM is closed during winter. Even in the SoCal mountains the weather/trail conditions are very dangerous that time of year.

2 guys were the first to do the whole PCT last year largely during winter. However, it was a 4th consecutive drought year, nothing like a normal winter.

Needless to say, this would be a very dangerous hike to attempt.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby jfulgham » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:24 pm

If I wanted to do a southbound winter hike on the PCT to Campo, what is a safe point to start from in January? I am into adventure, but not looking to get killed in the snow.
jfulgham

Postby postholer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Ok, I'll do your homework for you.

In January, in SoCal, during a normal winter, you will have a tough time finding a long extended hike. Knowing that night time temps will generally be sub-freezing along the entire stretch, often very windy and periodic winter rain and snow, we'll assume everything above 5,000 feet will have modest to complete snow coverage.

Using the elevation charts here is the break down by trail mile above 5,000 feet:
Mexico
30-60
120-195
230-290
345-430
490-500
535-550
565-700
Kennedy Meadows

That's roughly 410 out of 700 miles of trail above 5,000 feet.

Doing a long section hike could be uncomfortable to down right dangerous. During that time of year I would recommend numerous day hikes or short length overnighters, always keeping an eye on the weather. Winter storms often drop snow below 3,500 feet.

Think carefully before you run out into the cold! Don't put others in harms way who may have to come looking for you.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby jfulgham » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:40 am

Thank you for the information. I'm currently working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. It doesn't leave a lot of time for researching.
I will seek out another way to unplug this winter.
jfulgham

Return to Pacific Crest Trail