Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Water filtration vs purification

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Water filtration vs purification

Postby Warnervale » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:17 am

Looking for some local knowledge here folks. Planning a PCT hike in 2016. Sorting out my hydration plan. Would like to know if just filtration (most likely the sawyer mini) would be sufficient along the PCT, or should i be planning to use this in conjunction with a treatment such as chlorine dioxide as well. Would one or the other suit certain regions, or would i need to use both together for the length of my PCT hike? For context, i'm from Australia, and in a lot of instances i'm used to boiling water while camping. Most areas near my home would require me to filter and treat water to make it safe in lieu of boiling, and looking to avoid this along the PCT.......
Warnervale

Re: Water filtration vs purification

Postby stillroaming » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 am

The Sawyer Mini is probably the most popular filter on the PCT these days. The only complaints I heard about it was the plastic bags tend to break. The alternative is to use plastic water bottles instead.

I think there are transport issues with chlorine dioxide across borders. However, that has been a popular treatment in the past. Maybe something to use as a back-up and not your primary filter. It sure beats iodine.

I'm old school and prefer a heavy filter like the first need. It's pricey but removes everything, including taste. It's what I've used on both my PCT hikes.

You should have no real issues with the sawyer mini, it's a good option.

-stillroaming
stillroaming

Postby ryandax » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:30 am

Plus one for the sawyer squeeze! There are two models weighing 2oz and 3oz. I prefer the bigger one because it works faster. Be careful to not let water freeze inside filter as this could rip the microfibers. If you backflush frequently the filter will last 1,000's of miles as well. I also carry bleach in a small dropper bottle for the extra nasty sources.
ryandax

Postby Warnervale » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:30 pm

ryandax wrote:Plus one for the sawyer squeeze! There are two models weighing 2oz and 3oz. I prefer the bigger one because it works faster. Be careful to not let water freeze inside filter as this could rip the microfibers. If you backflush frequently the filter will last 1,000's of miles as well. I also carry bleach in a small dropper bottle for the extra nasty sources.

You prefer the liquid from a dropper bottle as opposed to the tablets?
Warnervale

Return to Pacific Crest Trail