Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Class of 2016

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Class of 2016

Postby postholer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:59 am

Hey, where ya at? Let us know if you're hiking this year. We want to follow along on your adventure.

Hike on hikers!

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Re: Class of 2016

Postby IBgizmo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Gizmo is joining class of 2016. Thank you for the outstanding "Planner" it has saved me many hours in planning my trip.
EAT SLEEP HIKE REPEAT!
IBgizmo

Postby thdomo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:26 am

I'm giving it serious consideration.
thdomo

Postby nmmalise » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

I woke up around December 25th just after finishing reading Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" on my kindle. A suggested reading was "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail." Lo and behold, a few days later I am planning my trip on the PCT. I am a beginning hiker, having done solo hikes on my own in Arizona, and my life is at a complete crossroads, not knowing what or where I want to be next, but I have a love of my life, AMBER, who I want to be with. She is exceptional at helping me start to plan this journey in a short amount of time. Without her I would be unable to do any of this. She gives me the confidence to move on, to try to attempt what seems an impossible journey. I don't know what lies ahead in this quest, but a quest to find myself and in turn to find a way to be better for her, for our future together. So it is with this idea, with this non-plan that I want to set forth to learn about myself, so that I can be a better person for her and any obstacles that come our way.

Nick
nmmalise

Postby nmmalise » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:29 pm

So, anybody think it is too late to plan this trip for? Is 4 months enough time. I already quit my job, as a teacher, back in November, and I have some of the essential "gear" to go ahead with this wild idea of mine. But with what I "made" being a teacher and the cost I see this trip taking, my biggest doubt is not being able to finish due to lack of funds, which throughout my entire life, has been my biggest fear.

NIck
nmmalise

Postby sb » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 am

Don't let the lack of funds make u not start, get creative, if u hike when the bulk of hikers go thru, search the hiker boxes for food... if u run out of maney, work for stay at a hostel, or get a part time job along the trail...Ive heard it being done...limit stays in town, motels, restaurants, just walk and eat!!!
Sandy aka "coyote"
class of 2016
starting 3/20/16
sb

Postby nmmalise » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:54 pm

what kind of food systems are you taking out on the trail?
nmmalise

Postby mimi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:51 am

Hi,
I'll start on the PCT begining of April 2016. I'm French, 61, and I never been to the States, so I have dificulties finding information about gas and basic food avalaible locally alont the PCT (I prefer to buy localy whenever possible). Can anyone give a fex pointers?

- In what type of places will I find gas canister? (gas stations, small shops, sport shops...)
- are gas canisters usually available along the PCT ?
- when the planer indicates "small shop" or "basic", does it means just some funk food for motorists or basic trail food such as muesli, cheese, crakers, cereal bars, noodle soup, peatnut butter, nuts, dried fruits and such?
- I find pleanty of gear lists, but hardly any food list for people buying locally; it would help my in adapting my own (french) list: can anyone give a hint?
Thanks a lot and see you on the trail
I also can be contacted throught my email: romnicianu (at) yahoo.fr
best regards
Jean
mimi

Postby IBgizmo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:13 am

Planning the resupply along the PCT is exhausting. Set aside at least a 40-80 hours and dig in. Do sections of planning just as you would do the hike, a bite at a time. Gathering the data is extremely important. The more time you spend planning, the better your trip will be. Postholer has some of the best data I could find. I have hiked several sections of the PCT, put together plans to resupply, but nothing compares to the massive undertaking of compiling 28 to 30 resupply locations and the accompanying strategy. Do your homework and gather the data first then start on the actual plan. Get the maps and handbooks found on the web (not sure if I can mention them by name on this thread). Get going and good luck.
Gizmo
EAT SLEEP HIKE REPEAT
IBgizmo

Postby Monty58 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:58 am

Well, we are committed... We are a team of three... Lonestar (AT class of 2014), Zach and myself. Plan on starting April 8th, be flexible at Kennedy Meadows and if necessary do a flip-flop through the Sierras... Looking forward to meeting you all!!!
Monty58

Cooking System

Postby nmmalise » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm

When it comes to a cooking system, what any suggestions? I feel I could function with the "fancy feast" stove, but I'm not sure i read somewhere that it could be banned in areas. With a canister system, how difficult is it to ship ahead? Any recommendations? I want something cheap, practical, and efficient. Thanks
nmmalise

Postby spgrading » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:37 am

wish i could do the hole pct but atleast i get to hike sections going out feb15 for 4 days cant wait to get back out there
spgrading

Postby spgrading » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:40 am

And yay new monument is up
spgrading

Postby J_Thru_2016 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:09 am

Jeff and Jeff will be planning on setting out mid to late April hope to see you all on the trail!
J_Thru_2016

Postby Abedell » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:56 am

My wife and I will be starting the PCT in April. This has always been a dream of mine, and she is excited to accompany me on this journey. Hope to see all of you on the trail.
Abedell

Next

Return to Pacific Crest Trail