Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Sierra Nevada Section Hike -- 2017

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Sierra Nevada Section Hike -- 2017

Postby john-lillywhite » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi there.

Terribly sorry for the (early) post. In 2017 I'm wanting to do a Northbound PCT section hike across the Sierra Nevadas. I have a couple questions:

Intention is to begin at Kennedy Meadows. Where would I end? Sierra City?
I want to start in early August and finish up by end September. The PCT databooks indicate Sierra Nevada section is about 500 miles. 8 weeks should give me ample time, right?
My wife prefer I not hike alone. Are there any forums for people like me looking for other hikes like me?

THANK!

John Lillywhite
john-lillywhite

Re: Sierra Nevada Section Hike -- 2017

Postby Gary Schenk » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:38 am

john-lillywhite wrote:Intention is to begin at Kennedy Meadows. Where would I end? Sierra City?
I want to start in early August and finish up by end September. The PCT databooks indicate Sierra Nevada section is about 500 miles. 8 weeks should give me ample time, right?

That should be more than enough time. That's 9 miles per day, correct? You should be able to do =/- 13 miles per day through the high Sierra. More once you get past the high passes. September is a great time to hike in the Sierra.
Gary Schenk

Return to Pacific Crest Trail