Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

John Muir Trail in April

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

John Muir Trail in April

Postby willyswalking » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:09 am

I currently live in Guam and will have about 2-3 weeks off in April. I am wondering if a north to south thru hike or section hike of the JMT is possible during this timeframe? If so would just a tarp for shelter be a wise idea? Thanks for any help.
willyswalking

Re: John Muir Trail in April

Postby Gary Schenk » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:27 am

It's certainly possible with the proper skill set and equipment. Realize that you'll being passing through high country, 10,000' and more, in the spring. You can expect lots of snow and frigid temperatures. You can expect storms.

It would not be just a hike. There are stretches of the PCT that would be quite nice in April, the High Sierra would not be one of those places.
Gary Schenk

Postby willyswalking » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 am

Thanks Gary, i got similar replies on the PCT FB page. so I think ill shoot for a section of the PCT in So Cal. thank you much for the insight.
willyswalking

Postby willyswalking » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Im looking into hiking from Warner Springs to Cajon Pass from April 1 - 11 timeframe. Looked at some predictive weather forcast and it seems the normal is between mid 50s to mid 40s. Is this accurate based on others in the area? Trying to plan out my jacket needs.
willyswalking

Postby postholer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Well, I don't know anything about predictive forecasting 3 months in advance, but climate shows sections A and B to have a low-high temp range from 24-80 degrees (barring cold spells and heat waves) in April and about 2.5 inches of precip which means snow at higher elevations. In a normal snow year, early April you will encounter a fair amount of snow on San Jacinto. What jacket to bring would not be my first concern! :D

The online PCT Data Book has lots of climate info if you're curious.

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby Gary Schenk » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:08 am

For April 1-11 you should consider Section E. Not the most spectacular section of the trail, but when the weather is not blistering hot (late May and on) it's pleasant hiking.

The wife and I did Section E in March a couple of years ago. It was green, springs and creeks flowing with good water, a bit chilly at night but great hiking. Crossing the Mojave was a piece of cake. No water at the aqueduct, but Tyler Horse Canyon was flowing good water and it was a really nice camp there. Plus we had it to ourselves. Except for a few mountain and dirt bikers around Liebre Mountain and Bouquet Canyon.

Section A would be good as well as long as your ready for possible snow and ice in the Lagunas.

edit: Same goes for Section E, I suppose.
Gary Schenk

Postby willyswalking » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 pm

I have settled on section hiking from Warner Springs (mile 107) to Cajon Pass ( Mile 342). i know there are 2 detours i will have to take due to fire closures. i have my california fire permit, what other paperwork will i need? Since i will not be getting the PCT thru hiking permit due to not hiking 500 miles this season, do i need to register with any of the wilderness areas?
thanks
willyswalking

Postby Gary Schenk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 am

You can Google Cleveland National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest and San Jacinto State Park. That should give you a good start. And maybe the PCTA can help with that.

San Jacinto State Park will want you to have a wilderness permit. You can pick one up when you get there if you do a slight detour to the Palm Springs Tram.
Gary Schenk

Postby willyswalking » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks for the help. i am contacting them asap. another question, i plan on using my tarp tent with no bug net, is this recommended? or should i sew netting into the tarp? I havent been out in the woods in Cali in almost 20 years.
willyswalking

Postby Gary Schenk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:55 am

Mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem in April. Ticks and gnats, maybe.
Gary Schenk

Postby Swilder » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Willyswalking,

I was wondering if you were open to having companion join you for part of the hike?
Swilder

Return to Pacific Crest Trail