Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Snow in store for 2016

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Snow in store for 2016

Postby Fish » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 am

I have been planning my PCT hike since I was 19 in 2010. I was living in Seattle during the 2011 winter and experienced what a snowy year can bring to the table as an avid mountaineer. Now it's 2016 we have had almost 5 years of very little snow for the Sierras or North Cascades. People are buzzing with ideas of thru hiking the PCT in 2016 like a fairy tale. We have seen more snow in the Sierras already this year than all of 2011. I am expecting more than 3/4 of the "thru hikers" to bail out once they get out of Kennedy Meadows and into the snow. There will be endless snowy sections of up to 30 miles through the sierras, it will feel colder maybe even late snow storms. Navigation will be increasingly hard as well as foot travel. It will be bright and you will get sunburned in the snow fields. Those 50 pound packs will start to become impossible to carry while postholing and slipping. Extra gear I.e. ice axe/crampons yet alone the experience using these tools. I chose the 2016 season to move to Colorado to live at a ski resort then hike the deep snow of the PCT for my 25th birthday. I am fully prepared to run into snow that will most likely put a hault to most people's fairy tale. I'm using a 40 liter pack. No electronics whatsoever. Just essentials just the knowledge and experience of over 1/5 of my life planning and training. I strongly urge anyone planning a 2016 PCT thru or section hike in the Sierras or North Cascades to respect the mountains and truely spend a few years getting to know how they work year after year training and planning before thinking you can complete your fairy tale of a PCT hike. It's not 2015 anymore get ready for snow and lack of crowds!
Fish

Return to Pacific Crest Trail