Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Skip the Sierras from Kennedy Meadows

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Skip the Sierras from Kennedy Meadows

Postby pix » Sun May 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi

At the moment we are in Wrightwood and watch with concern to the snow condition in the Sierras. We plan to reach Kennedy Meadows around 23th Mai. Among the current conditions we suppose we are not able to hike in the Sierras.
To wait for better conditions is no option for us then we must reach Manning Park on 18 September.
Potentially a option could be to skip the Sierras and come back when the snow is gone. Indeed is that really our last option which we do not really want to do.

My question:
What is the best way to skip the Sierras from Kennedy Meadows and at which point should we return on the trail again?
Perhaps by bus with greyhound?

I am afraid I have not found proper bus stops near KM.

Could somebody help me and advise what to do?

Thank so much
Sabine/Germany
pix

Re: Skip the Sierras from Kennedy Meadows

Postby gg-man » Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 pm

You are going to want to check postholers snow page very closely. There is a lot of snow in north so I'm not sure where you are going to jump to that will be much better. There have only been a couple years, when high Sierra snow and low PNW snow made a true flip to Manning doable. Flipping and skipping seems to be a good plan but I would seriously consider doing a straight through hike. Here's where you will definitely run into major snow even in July. CRater lake, MT jefferson and most of Wa.
gg-man

Postby pix » Mon May 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi,

thank so much for your answer. We will consider a through hike and hope everything goes well.

Hopefully the snow will melt faster than until now.

Sabine
pix

Postby PhilipHCook » Wed May 25, 2016 2:03 pm

I tried to jump to Soda Springs (HWY 80 near Truckee) yesterday and hike North, but the snow was too deep to follow the trail without using my phone app. I climbed up to Castle Pass @ 7900' and looked North where the trail continues at this elevation until Sierra City. Didn't look wise to go forward if I had to keep using my phone to stay on, or near, an invisible trail. I'm headed to Ashland and hopefully can hike South from there to finish California without the hassle of public transportation to keep hopping around to different entry point.
PhilipHCook

Return to Pacific Crest Trail