Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

stove fuel availability

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

stove fuel availability

Postby bob2019 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:47 pm

I have sadly been reading this forum for hours.... I hope many of these questions get answered

I only have one for now....I normally carry a jetboil, I like it, but I have only hiked for no more than four days. Thinking through the fuel situation, I find myself questioning fuel availability on the trail. So, I am looking at MSR whisperlite for fuel flexibility.

am I crazy or is fuel truly an issue?
bob2019

Re: stove fuel availability

Postby mrolph » Tue May 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Fuel canisters (isobutane/propane) are available at fairly regular intervals, probably as available as white gas. Alcohol is the easiest fuel to obtain along the trail. However, alcohol stoves have their own issues, I won't open that debate. Here is a list of fuel availability for 2016:

http://asthecrowflies.org/wp-content/up ... t-2016.pdf

Another option is to ship fuel in your resupply packages. It is legal, in small quantities, shipped by USPS by ground only (no priority mail), and with proper labels. Unfortunately, some postal employees do not know their own regulations and may balk at accepting your shipment. The exact regulations and how to get your shipment on its way can be found with a few google searches.

Leilow PCT '08
mrolph

Re: stove fuel availability

Postby bob2019 » Sat May 21, 2016 8:05 am

mrolph wrote:Fuel canisters (isobutane/propane) are available at fairly regular intervals, probably as available as white gas. Alcohol is the easiest fuel to obtain along the trail. However, alcohol stoves have their own issues, I won't open that debate. Here is a list of fuel availability for 2016:

http://asthecrowflies.org/wp-content/up ... t-2016.pdf

Another option is to ship fuel in your resupply packages. It is legal, in small quantities, shipped by USPS by ground only (no priority mail), and with proper labels. Unfortunately, some postal employees do not know their own regulations and may balk at accepting your shipment. The exact regulations and how to get your shipment on its way can be found with a few google searches.

Leilow PCT '08

Thank you!
bob2019

Return to Pacific Crest Trail