Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Need a permit, no problem

Discussion area for all topics concerning the the Pacific Crest Trail. This is a pleasant and friendly place where the 'hike your own hike' philosophy is encouraged.

Moderator: postholer

Need a permit, no problem

Postby gg-man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Special, super secret information for Postholer readers only. (I think Scott has the best PCT site!). There is a major loophole in the PCT permit process. Everyone is looking to get a permit from border to border and huge blocks of dates are filled to capacity. Very easy solve. Get a permit from mile 152 and there is no quota. But wait, don't you need a permit for the first 152 mile. Not unless you CHOOSE to camp at either Hauser Creek or in Cleveland NF prior to Laguna. Stay at Lake Moreno and there is no need to camp in either location. Pick a date when you will be getting to mile 152 and off you go. No quotas, no worries.

Enjoy,
Malto
Shhhhhhhh
gg-man

Re: Need a permit, no problem

Postby postholer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Thank you and THANK YOU.

So, tell us more. Give us some details. I would REALLY like to hear the details of this. Please post here or if not, shoot me an email a public@postholer.com

I really want to shout this info high and low.

Thanks!
-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Postby gg-man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 pm

If you look at each jurisdiction and what permits are needed only Cleveland NF has any restrictions. See https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/clevelan ... EPRD488307. I didn't find any permit requirements for Anzo Borrego San Jacinto Wilderness and State Park requires a permit even to day hike which is why I recommended start at mile 152. I was absolutely shocked that the quota requirements end at WS. Really proves your point about this being unenforable, you can meet every letter of the law. Amazing
gg-man

Postby postholer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks Malto!

I think I'm on the same page now.

DON'T camp outside of an established camp ground between Hauser Creek (mile 15) and Sunrise Hwy (mile 52)
Camp grounds:
Lake Morena (mile 20), Boulder Oaks (mile 25), Cibbets Flat (mile 32), Burnt Rancheria (mile 40, Mt Laguna)

Dispersed camping is OK from Sunrise Hwy (mile 52) to Hwy 74 (mile 149).

Get your permit start location for Hwy 74!!!

If you're a moderate hiker, you'll make Lake Morena the first day and at least Cibbets Flat the second day.

Anything else? I'll try to clean this up for clarity.
postholer
Site Admin

Postby postholer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Here's a graphic demonstrating PCT permit alternative for the first 150 miles:

A larger image can be found here:
https://www.postholer.com/images/pctPermit.jpg

-postholer
postholer
Site Admin

Return to Pacific Crest Trail