Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Maps & Guide book for 2013? logistics help

Here's the spot for all of you aspiring CDT enthusiasts. You're a tough breed, hiking one of the most untamed trails in the country.

Maps & Guide book for 2013? logistics help

Postby Qball » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Even after thru-hiking the PCT & AT I STILL find it daunting to plan this thru-hike! ugggh :shock:

Is Yogi's a good guide/place to start? What maps are ideal/best? GPS or no? best/most current place to get info on drops? water report of any kind for desert?

I'm just starting the planning so any advice on the logistics side of things (Ive got the gear side of thru-hiking down by now :wink: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Qball- AT '11 PCT '12
Qball

Re: Maps & Guide book for 2013? logistics help

Postby ryandax » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 am

Qball-
Whats up? This is DATA from last summer on the PCT. I have been planning my 2013 NOBO hike on the CDT since I finished. The first thing I bought was yogi's guide. Having never used her guides on the PCT, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was super stoked with all the info in the CDT guides! Tons of mileage and town information that you could find elsewhere but made easy by her guides. I would highly recommend getting them. I am, along with everyone else, will be carrying the Jonathan Ley maps. They are very similar to Halfmiles PCT maps in that they are made by and updated by hikers. There is a thread on Facebook CDT 2013 page where we are doing a group order of the maps to get them professionally printed at a good price. Hit me up anytime if you have any other questions. When are you planning to start? I am shooting for May 1st starting at Crazy Cook monument. I would love to start with some familiar faces. I hope you are having a great winter and good luck with planning.

DATA CDT NOBO 2013
ryandax

Postby Qball » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am

Hey Data...thanks for the info. I haven't even decided on a NOBO or SOBO at this time but I will definitely be getting Yogi's. I was looking at the BearCreek maps, they appear pretty good too. Just starting the planning so getting as much info to make decisions.
Qball

Postby loveitoleaveit » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 am

I have a complete set of Wolf guides that you can have for free - I will ship - let me know : mcloud2b9@aol.com
I completed a thru hike of the CDT in 2012
Answers to questions: maps: Ley are the best (11X17), Brown are more accurate but have no alternates, Wolf is good for home planning and add to notes on other maps. GPS is handy and is very good if you have the waypoints programmed into it. Yogi guide is a must. Delorme is great for a larger view of your route and emergency exit strategies.
Love-it O Leave-it
LOL
loveitoleaveit

Return to Continental Divide Trail