Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Navigation with compass

Here's the spot for all of you aspiring CDT enthusiasts. You're a tough breed, hiking one of the most untamed trails in the country.

Navigation with compass

Postby TraJik » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Hello Everyone! I was hoping to get the opinion of hikers who use map and compass on the CDT. I'm one of those that go hiking to be "off-grid" and would hike the trail as naturally as possible, if my primitive skills were up to par. With all the talk about gps options, any compass recommendations? Any advice/feedback for those of us wanting to go "old-school"? I brought but never used this on the PCT, http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1714853353 ... =82&chn=ps I read recently it's important to walk away from fences and such because they can affect the reading, are certain compasses better at resisting this than others....? Thank you!
TraJik

Re: Navigation with compass

Postby STINGER » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:03 am

The Brunton compass should work fine. I always like the clear ones so I can see through to the map. If your not planning on GPS, I would highly recommend getting maps for bailouts. When I hiked I noticed the maps are fairly narrow to the trail as they should be for accuracy and easy reading. The tough part was trying to map a bailout/reroute off maps that only showed maybe 5-7 miles e/w of the trail. GPS holds massive amounts of info. I would also recommend J Leys maps as the notes and alternates are priceless. It's nice most of the danger areas are well marked. I wouldent worry about accuracy with the compass(it's a decent one)just make sure you know how to use it with a map. Have fun out there.
STINGER

Re: Navigation with compass

Postby skimaxpower » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 am

That Brunton is the same compass I took on the CDT. Great model - simple, durable, declination can be set and forget.

My best advice for hiking without GPS is to use the compass a LOT. I kept mine attached to my backpack shoulder strap so that I could reach it without taking my pack off. I used it every day for something. Checking it constantly kept me from making silly mistakes, and it also made me much more confident in my map and compass skills. Similarly, I kept the map handy, and checked it frequently.

There are plenty of unmarked intersections on the CDT, but it's entirely navigable with just a map and compass. More adventurous, too.
skimaxpower

Return to Continental Divide Trail