Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Guns, Dogs, Ammo...oh my!

Here's the spot for all of you aspiring CDT enthusiasts. You're a tough breed, hiking one of the most untamed trails in the country.

Guns, Dogs, Ammo...oh my!

Postby wmcatty » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Hey folks. Question #1: I have scoured this site and apologize if I overlooked the section on firearms and dogs on the CDT, but was unable to locate anything in this forum. Can anyone tell me if they have brought their dog on the CDT (Lower sections in San Juan Mountains). If so, was the terrain too tough on the dogs paw pads? Did the animal require booties? Was the animal hauling a pack...and if so, how much food/gear was hauled in proportion to the animals weight?

Question #2: What is the concensus on bringing firearms on the trail? I will be bringing one for self protection for my hiking party (me, 6 year old grandchild and a 9 month old lab) and was curious as to whether other hikers carry concealed firearms on these long distant journeys. From some of the other forums I have read regarding this issue, it seems that this subject was either taboo or not encouraged in the least. I, on the other hand, am a firm believer in not becoming a victim or allowing harm to come to my family due to being unprepared. I am not trying to get into a 2nd Amendment debate nor ruffle any hiking feathers, but was curious as to why there seems to be such animousity towards this issue from the hiking community in general.
wmcatty

Re: Guns, Dogs, Ammo...oh my!

Postby stillroaming » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Both topics are so polarizing folks tend to avoid them like the plague.

If you want to learn more about 'dog maintenance' check out one of Jo and Kerry's fine journals.

Very, very few hikers feel the need to carry a gun. Carry one or not, no one really cares. Why make it anyone else's business?

-stillroaming
stillroaming

Postby LaGrangePoints5 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 am

I drove up and down I5 this summer stopping at trail crossings to greet hikers. Once I met a young woman from New Zealand at Callahan's and I asked her the question I have asked almost every through hiker I have run across: What's the thing that surprised you most about the Trail so far. Her answer was: The number of people who asked her if she was carrying a gun. She said it was the last thing she would do on a hike."What is it with you Americans and your guns?"
LaGrangePoints5

Postby wmcatty » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking this might be a little too polarizing of a topic for most, but wanted some consensus never the less.
wmcatty

Return to Continental Divide Trail