Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

GPS for CDT

Here's the spot for all of you aspiring CDT enthusiasts. You're a tough breed, hiking one of the most untamed trails in the country.

GPS for CDT

Postby Hamlet » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:54 am

What make-model GPS do you suggest I buy to load maps/way points for the CDT? Thanks from Hamlet.
Hamlet

GPS

Postby High Life » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:51 pm

i've heard a few people have been using the oregon400t
with good results .. its quite an expensive model though..
there and back ...
http://www.hikesafe.com/
High Life

Postby BiletChick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

The Oregon 400t is a great unit, but it goes through batteries like crazy. Check out the Garmin 60CSx and add the 24k topo software. Good Luck!
Wouldn't it be great if the only burden we carried through life was our backpack?
BiletChick

500t?

Postby Akatsuki » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:42 am

How about the garmin 500t?
Akatsuki

Postby BiletChick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:53 am

I think it's the Oregon 550t. Again, great unit but more bells and whistles, less battery life...
Wouldn't it be great if the only burden we carried through life was our backpack?
BiletChick

Postby jackr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:25 pm

I purchased the Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx. It has best battery life available by Garmin. I have used it for a while and found it to be accurate. Using Gramin's Base Camp software (Mac version) I loaded several routes from Columbus to Chama. You can purchase it on-line for less then $200. The Garmin SD cards can be purchased for around $70 to $80 in various places. Ebay also has Garmin loaded 24K topo cards. You will need the Mountain South, Central and North Garmin cards.
jackr

Check out the Garmin 60CSx

Postby jj » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:26 pm

I have been using one to create tracks and waypoints along the Bay Area Ridge Trail. You can see some of the results at one of my sites: ridgetrailhikerDOTcom. Here's my plug: I chose it because others, like Halfmile, who have a lot of experience tracking long trails recommended it. I have found mine to be rugged, accurate, and easy to use.

I like the Garmin BaseCamp on the Mac, too.

But then. Some like chocolate. Some like Chunky Monkey.
Walk well. God is love. J J
jj

Postby SunnyWalker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 am

I now have the Magellan Triton 400. This gps unit is made specifically for hiking. Small (pocket size) and light. One can load the topo maps you need. Two AA batts power it up and they last quite awhile. The display and ease of use are easy to learn. Check it out.
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Re: GPS for CDT

Postby SunnyWalker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Update: While this is an old thread folk might still read it to get ideas and all. So let me say that I found the Magellan Triton to be a fine instrument but not to the level I needed. I switched to a Garmin Oregon 450 and used it last year (2013) on the CDT. I plan on using it this year also (2014). I have loaded it with detailed topo maps. Then the waypoint SD Cards from Bearcreek Survey. I am no expert on this stuff, but I recommend Bearcreek Survey maps and SD cards with the waypoints for the CDT trail. :D
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Return to Continental Divide Trail