Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Southern Terminus of CDT???!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the spot for all of you aspiring CDT enthusiasts. You're a tough breed, hiking one of the most untamed trails in the country.

Postby SunnyWalker » Thu May 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Whew, I thought I had this nailed down. I thought the real start of the CDT was just south of Columbus, NM? Is this right? If not where does it start? On border south of Hachita? :roll: Thanks. -SunnyWalker
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Postby SunnyWalker » Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 pm

If it is Hachita, then why is Columbus in the CDTS guidebook as the southern terminus? Anybody care to answer?
"Something hidden, go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" -Rudyard Kipling
SunnyWalker

Re: Southern Terminus of CDT?!

Postby stillroaming » Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm

The southern terminus of the CDT is in a desolate place called Crazy Cook on the eastern 'boot heel' of New Mexico.

Many folks start from Columbus as it's relatively easy to get to, unlike Crazy Cook.

Check out the CDT web site:
http://www.cdtrail.org/page.php?pname=southern_terminus

Also, the postholer CDT map shows you where:
http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=2

-stillroaming
stillroaming

Postby SunnyWalker » Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm

OK, fine. But this points out how the CDT is still in transition and a mickey mouse transition it is. CDTS guidebooks don't mention anything abour Crazy Crook or Hachita. It's all Columbus. Need some more work here, hello! I'm not impressed. Let's get it together people :cry:
SunnyWalker

Postby Flippy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:02 pm

I think the CDTA is doing a great job, and my reply may be quite late, but I had no problem finding and getting to the new southern terminus this past April:

http://www.cdtrail.org/page.php?pname=news/article&article_id=76

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs050/1102004018975/archive/1102925181677.html

Sam is a really nice guy, and very flexible. We were able to get to the new trailhead without a problem.
Flippy

Postby handlebar » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Also a late response. I can recommend the Crazy Cook route which is now Ley's "red route" or main route. If Sam Hughes is still driving hikers down there as he was last year, it's a good way to get there from Hachita. The way is well marked by large signs posted by the BLM. Sam cached water in the BLM water caches for me and the other hikers starting there. I found the NM desert quite picturesque. Among other things, this route takes you through the lower Gila which was crotch high and quite swift---I went swimming twice, once when I slipped on a rock while trying to avoid yet another ford and another time when the channel was surprisingly deep and swift just as I was reaching the far bank. Definitely got the adrenalin surging. The Columbus route takes you to the Middle Gila so you miss some of the excitement.

To clear up some of the confusion: AFAIK Jim Wolfe and the CDTS were driving forces for getting the CDT designated as a National Scenic Trail. The CDTS is now an advocacy group promoting routes that Wolfe and the CDTS prefers. The CDTA is the "official" non-profit that interfaces with the land managers along the route of the CDT. These are the BLM, the Forest Service, and the National Park Service. The CDTA is the functional equivalent of the PCTA and the ATC.
Handlebar
handlebar

Postby Hedry » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Sunny-
I think you have some feeling of entitlement here. Do you think the CDTS owes you something? The CDT is a tough hike. If you are frustrated by information in an outdated guidebook then you certainly won't make it very far.
Hedry

Postby SunnyWalker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 am

Yeah, maybe I won't make it far. No, no sense of entitlement. I do apologize for my remarks about CDT and development. I realized right away I was wrong. The new map/map books from CDTA look pretty good. I still have to purchase one. :D
SunnyWalker

Re: Southern Terminus of CDT???!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby SeeDeeTee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:06 pm

'Bout got it all together except for re-supply boxes. Will head out to the start to go NOBO this late April 2013 or early May 2013.
SeeDeeTee

Postby SunnyWalker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:33 pm

I purchased the books from BearCreek and the start is at Crazy Crook. The maps are wonderful. Wow, what a job they have done here. I also purchased the SD cards with the Waypoints. Waypoints are noted on the maps also. This is terrific.
SunnyWalker

Postby SunnyWalker » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Oh . . . And the official origins on the CDT are the Crazy Crook Monument that Bearcreeks Maps show so well.
SunnyWalker

Postby markv » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Crazy Cook. Lose the r.
markv

Postby SunnyWalker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Ha, ha! Crazy COOK, got it!! I stand corrected. Wow, how'd that one get by me?
SunnyWalker

Return to Continental Divide Trail