Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Springer to NOC

The Appalachian Trail is the most well traveled and adored trail of the Triple Crown trails. So come on in, have a seat and tell us your story.

Springer to NOC

Postby Swoop » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm

I am considering a trip from springer to the NOC the first of June. I am interested if anyone has done that section and how long it took them. I am in 48 and good shape and I will be hiking with my 12yr old who is in great shape and plays linebacker for the football team I coach. i'm open to all feedback. Thanks Swoop.
“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.â€
Swoop

Springer to NOC

Postby gg-man » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I have hiked that section of trail, most of it many times. It is tough to answer how many days without knowing how you like to hike, how fit you are and how heavy your packs are. Most of the AT thru hikers seem to be putting in about 12 a day usually with too heavy packs. I usually pull off over 30 with an 8lb base weight so you can see the range.

What I can tell you is that this is a fairly tough section of trail. One 34 mile day hike last year had 10,800' of elevation gain but most of it is 300 up 500 down over and over.

I can probably help you out with more specifics if you want to PM me. I will be leaving for the PCT May 20th so you have 57 days!
gg-man

Return to Appalachian Trail