Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Talking Gear

The Appalachian Trail is the most well traveled and adored trail of the Triple Crown trails. So come on in, have a seat and tell us your story.

Talking Gear

Postby Scout9801 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I was just wondering what some of you ultralight weight hikers carry in your packs. Trying to get an idea what I should get for a week long hike I'm planning now to get ready for a thru-hike. I have a good bit of gear now but it is quite heavy at this time. I'm trying to go lighter if possible. So if you have some ideas or packing lists please share them.
Jamie "Scout" Roe
Scout9801

Re: Talking Gear

Postby Scout9801 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 am

As of right now my gear weighs 30 LBS. I am trying to get some more gear that weighs less. I'm looking to share ideas on gear and gain knowledge from experienced hikers as well.
Jamie "Scout" Roe
Scout9801

Postby Miner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Many of the journals here have gear lists. Look for the Gear List link on any of the journal entries. If the hiker made a gear list you'll see the link. Both my 2009 PCT and 2012 AT journals here have their gear list. The AT gearlist is more recent and lighter and would work fine on the PCT. In fact I did a 110 mile PCT section last month with basically the same gear.

There are also a lot of Ultralight gear lists posted on backpackinglight.com 's gear list forum.

I spent 15 years slowly moving into lighter gear. Never making huge changes at any one time but constantly trying lighter gear and UL tips. At first it was just replacing heavier items with lighter versions of the same thing and removing gear I found I wasn't using or was duplicated by something else. It wasn't hard to get under 15lbs as a baseweight. Going lighter then that starts to take money as the lightest gear often costs big money unless you get into make your own gear. There are websites dedicated to that.

Start off by spending the money and get a good lightweight sleeping bag. There is no reason to carry one that weighs over 2 lbs. Also, there is no reason to carry a tent/tarp/shelter that weighs over 3lbs. Its easy to find some that are less then 2 lbs. Rather then buying all your gear at REI and other large outfitters, try some of the small cottage manufacturers who sell online and are at the forefront of UL gear. Get rid of duplicate items. No reason to carry spare hiking clothes to wear different days. You'll smell bad anyway, so no need for a clean shirt or an extra set of underwear. Make a spreadsheet of all your gear and its weight to the nearest fractional ounce or gram with weight sub-totals of different categories of gear. It really helps to see where all that weight is coming from and where the easiest place to make a big change. Right after a trip, go through your gear and see what you didn't use and keep a list of it. Keep making those lists after each trip so you get a feel for what stuff is just dead weight that you are carrying and never using. That said, don't get rid of the 1st aid kit, but you can lighten it up some if its more then a few ounces.

-Miner
Miner

Postby Scout9801 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey Minor, thanks for the information. I will definitely look into it.
Jamie "Scout" Roe
Scout9801

Return to Appalachian Trail