Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Section Hiking

The Appalachian Trail is the most well traveled and adored trail of the Triple Crown trails. So come on in, have a seat and tell us your story.

Section Hiking

Postby murph1401 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 pm

I am planning a hike on the AT. We would like to day hike sections of the trail. I am looking for suggestions of some good sections to hike. We are planning on hiking a section and then driving on to the next section. I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions. Thank you.
murph1401

Re: Section Hiking

Postby gg-man » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:36 pm

A bit more information would help. How far do you hike in a day and where do you live? I doubt you want to drive to Maine if you live in Florida.
gg-man

Postby murph1401 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:54 am

We will be flying in from the west coast. We can start anywhere. We would probably hike about 15 miles or so a day. We are looking to find some interesting sections to hike and will work our trip around those. We are flexible and will also be doing some sightseeing. We are thinking we will hike a section and then drive on to another section. There are some travelers coming with us that are not interested in hiking so they will be doing the driving. We are willing to hike a section in one state, do some sightseeing and then drive to another state. Thank you.
murph1401

Postby gc78 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 pm

The AT is very accessible from the Washington DC area. Of course, you can easily get to anywhere else in the mid-Atlantic from this area for sightseeing. Although not as dramatic as New England or Tennessee, you are within 4 hours drive of nearly half the trail. I have section-hiked from the middle of Pennsylvania to south of Roanoke, Virginia (about 450 miles) and would offer some suggestions in this area: 1. Shenandoah National Park offers about 100 miles of trail. It has easy access, lots of parking and viewpoints for the non-hikers, National Park lodges and spectacular views of the Shenandoah Valley west and Piedmont of VA east. The trail follows the Blue Ridge, and is rugged in places, but overall is mostly moderate hiking (going up and down an average of less than 1,000 feet at most). You can't go wrong anywhere in there. 2. Maryland for 20-30 miles north of Harper's Ferry provides easy access, numerous drops through Civil War sites, and lots of historic locations nearby that you can view in conjunction with your hike. Hiking is relatively easy in this section. 3. The AT south of Shenandoah National Park weaves along the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 100 miles. The terrain is rougher and more remote, but you can get some spectacular vistas and challenging climbs (Humpback Rocks, Three-Ridges, The Priest Mountain, Cold Mountain, The climbs either direction from the James River Bridge). 4. The 35-mile section south from Dalesville (north of Roanoke) passes several beautiful rock formations that are absolutely spectacular (Hay Rock, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, and Dragon's Tooth). This is my favorite section on the trail so far. The terrain is challenging, but you have lots of opportunity to walk all of it, or to break it into sections. Hope this helps.
gc78

Postby murph1401 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for all the great tips!!!
murph1401

Return to Appalachian Trail