Postholer.Com

A Place to discuss hiking along your favorite trail
Home Journals Maps Planner Postholer

Winter Long Distance Hiking

If it's not relevant to other forums or the subject has drifted into the obscure, the messages will get put here.

Winter Long Distance Hiking

Postby Webster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Hiker Trash,

Im a hiking addict that is ignoring my instincts to endlessly walk as I waste my 26th trip around the sun at a desk job. My job is dynamic and challenging (in a positive way), and the work environment is healthy and friendly, but my mind perpetually wanders through a series of fantasy hikes that I am constantly adding to and modifying. This thought process is ever present and is driving me insane :roll: . These thoughts temporarily evaporate when my job requires me to work in the field, but reliably return as I return to the office. The two conclusions I can make from this are 1) I need to hike to maintain mental stability, 2) I need my work to be outside. Fortunately, as a water quality and hydrology nerd, there are plenty of seasonal positions that will allow me to work in the field and get paid a reasonable amount for doing it. Unfortunately, as a lover of America's long trails, the hiking season and field season overlap each other (May - October in the West). So I come to you people with the hopes to start a discussion about what the best winter long distance hiking adventures could be for those that work during the summer.

As of now, I am tentatively planning to hike the Te Araroa starting this December (2013). I have heard mixed reviews about this trail and honestly would prefer to hike an American trail, but the timing is such that I will be done with work at the beginning of winter. But what about next winter? And the next? I have not been able to identify seasonal hydrology work in the winter, so I must take advantage of summer months to make some $$$. What do you guys think?

-Webster
Webster

Return to OT - Off Topic